Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rimfire Case Bullet Jackets (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36159)

sshcoyote 12-04-2019 12:39 AM

Rimfire Case Bullet Jackets

Guys does anyone still make any of these bullets...like MHG in the past? And are any worthy of match accuracy? Heard the MHG's were pretty good. Seems like this was a great application for an otherwise trashed resource.

MIBULLETS 12-04-2019 03:04 AM

I have dies to make them. They shoot decently, as good as some factory bullets, but not match grade for sure. If you sort cases or only use cases from a single lot of ammo groups improve quite a bit. They are pretty devastating on critters though.

sshcoyote 12-04-2019 07:56 AM

Thks guys!! Appreciate the info.

The Old Redneck 12-04-2019 01:40 PM

Bullet making

I still make some for special bullets I can't buy, "But" usually buy bulk, pulling the handle on a bullet press is not as much fun as I get older. The price on bulk bullets looks better as I get older. Can make jacket cups from rimfire brass and other things or buy jackets. Cleaning and preping the rimfire brass made buying jackets look better. Cost of buying jackets made bulk bullet cost look better. Making a bullet has several steps. Each step adds time required to the process. I'm not knocking it but as I get older my time is worth more to me. Find a bullet maker and watch the process. The dies and press are not cheap. You can get dies and use a reloading press. Have done both, I personally would rather use a bullet press. Either way time consuming

georgeld 12-05-2019 06:25 AM

They've made about 5/8" groups in my one hole shooter.
Same loads you watched doing it.

You haven't posted in so long I figured your job was bought out
and you'd gone to the Philipines to shoot rats.

pertnear 12-05-2019 02:51 PM

I made these out of range-pick-up Federal .22's

Finished Bullets

Headstamp

Bayou City Boy 12-05-2019 04:13 PM

If done properly, there is no doubt that an accurate hunting bullet can be made form 22 LR cases. That is how Vernon Speer first got into the bullet making business years ago.

If you want match grade accuracy, you would be much better served by buying or building a bullet utilizing a jacket with a consistent concentric wall thickness to insure the best possible rotational balance from the bullet once it leaves the barrel.

JMO - BCB

Daryl 12-05-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pertnear (Post 286303)
I made these out of range-pick-up Federal .22's

Finished Bullets

Headstamp

Those are the nicest bullet jacket bullets I've ever seen.

MIBULLETS 12-06-2019 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sshcoyote (Post 286283)
Thks guys!! Appreciate the info.

Are you considering getting into making bullets? The comments about it being time consuming are spot on, but it can be a rewarding feeling shooting ammo you reloaded as well as making the actual bullet. It's just like other things we do sometimes. It doesn't have to make sense if you enjoy doing it. Plus the dies you use to make bullets from rimfire cases can also make scary accurate bullets using commercial jackets from Sierra and J4.

georgeld 12-07-2019 02:52 AM

I believe Pete: aka Foxhunter223
and his buddy make them too.
At least they used to.