Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Time for a new rifle company? (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38497)

458win 06-01-2022 04:11 PM

Time for a new rifle company?

With Cz stopping production of the 527, interarms caput, Sako no longer doing any mini actions. There seems to be a huge gap created for a mini repeater action that can handle the likes of a Hornet and fireball case.

I’m thinking a mini Mauser style with bdl type floor plate. A decent wood stock, setup to take a set of common scope bases. Just been on my mind for awhile and mulling it over coffee this morning. What say the general populace?

JDHasty 06-01-2022 04:48 PM

I totally agree. I would also like to see a rifle with a slightly larger Remington 580 series repeater action on the market. Same action used to build the 541 rifles on.

foxhunter 06-01-2022 04:54 PM

couldn't agree more, always said remington missed the mark by not offering a shorter version of their 700 sa. Remington could have made the 504 action into a centerfire for the 221 and smaller family. a modern day version of the sako model 78 would be nice.
i'm guessing if the demand gets high enough we may see something. maybe howa will put a floor plate on their action.

Bill K 06-01-2022 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxhunter (Post 303699)
couldn't agree more, always said remington missed the mark by not offering a shorter version of their 700 sa. Remington could have made the 504 action into a centerfire for the 221 and smaller family. a modern day version of the sako model 78 would be nice.
i'm guessing if the demand gets high enough we may see something. maybe howa will put a floor plate on their action.

Remington and even Winchester with a couple of the old rifles they had in 22 Hornet and were repeaters, if they brought out something like them in 17 Hornet, in todays market, I would bet they would sell plenty of them. :)

GLWenzl 06-01-2022 05:28 PM

Maybe a good time for DLC to start up a second rifle business ;)

B23 06-01-2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill K (Post 303701)
I would bet they would sell plenty of them. :)

You'd certainly think the "they would sell plenty of them" would be a driving factor or at least a priority but I'm not sure it is. Use the CZ 527 as an example. They seemed to sell about as fast as the were put on the shelf, especially, the ones chambered in 17 Hornet. I have two of them bought new about a year apart. I never could find one in stock at any gun shops within a few hundred miles of me. I had to order mine online. When I decided to get the second one it took me a couple months of looking online to find someone that had a Varmint model 527 17 Hornet. They were always sold out so it doesn't seem that selling plenty of them was a problem because they pretty easily sold all that they made in fact just about all of the CZ 527's regardless of model or what it was chambered in always sold pretty fast. Now, in CZ's infinite wisdom they've discontinued the 527 entirely and has a new model but it doesn't appear as though CZ is going to make anything in 17 Hornet.

It appears as though CZ has taken a page out of the Tikka play book and is now going to have/use one action the fits everything from 223 to 300 Win mag and I'm guessing it's most likely all about creating the highest possible profit margin per unit and less about volume. Unfortunately that will eliminate the possibility of CZ chambering anything in the 17/22 Hornet unless they have something else in the works but I'm doubtful that'll happen anytime soon.

Gary in Illinois 06-01-2022 06:08 PM

Cz527

I read somewhere (:rolleyes:) that the reason for the demise of the 527 was that the tooling used in its manufacture was worn to the point of needing replacement. Seems that rather than replace existing tooling for the 527 the decision was made to tool up for a “new and improved” rifle to replace the 527.

Can’t even remember where I read it now - may have been on the CZ forum.

Northern 06-01-2022 06:42 PM

Take Tikka T3, copy it... cut 1/2" of length whereever its needed.

Metal bottom metal and a single stack 3-4 round metal magazine.

B23 06-01-2022 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois (Post 303705)
I read somewhere (:rolleyes:) that the reason for the demise of the 527 was that the tooling used in its manufacture was worn to the point of needing replacement. Seems that rather than replace existing tooling for the 527 the decision was made to tool up for a “new and improved” rifle to replace the 527.

Can’t even remember where I read it now - may have been on the CZ forum.

CZ didn't just discontinue the 527 though. It appears they're following Tikka's playbook by using one action for everything the make because they're replacing two guns, 527 & 550, with one their new 600.

On a side note, if Tikka were to chamber something in 17/22 Hornet I don't think anyone would complain but the chances of that happening are most likely none and none. :(

Bill K 06-01-2022 09:46 PM

[quote=B23;303720]CZ didn't just discontinue the 527 though. It appears they're following Tikka's playbook by using one action for everything the make because they're replacing two guns, 527 & 550, with one their new 600.

In regard to the new 600 receiver, believe I read somewhere that they have already changed that some, by not offering the switch barrel set up, due to failures with barrel connection of something on that order.
I gather they will use a fixed barrel set up instead. Anyone know for sure ?