Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cracked Masburn Bee shoulders. (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38500)

FredT 06-02-2022 02:46 PM

Cracked Masburn Bee shoulders.

Not too long ago I acquired a P.O. Ackley built 310 Cadet rebarreled in 218 Masburn Bee. Finding regular Bee brass was tough. Some of the brass is very old, some reformed from 25-20. As I fire form this brass with a not quite full (very accurate) load, I get about 40% split shoulders. I have not annealed any of the cases. Any advice from you old sages?

SEM 06-02-2022 02:53 PM

anneal !! anneal !!

JDHasty 06-02-2022 02:59 PM

You are lucky it's only 40% if you don't anneal the case neck and shoulders on that one

FredT 06-02-2022 03:18 PM

Got it. Thanks.

JDHasty 06-02-2022 04:11 PM

Be careful to not compromise the case head on the Bee cases. There is a lot of information about annealing hornet cases. Most of it probably applies to Bee cases as well.

Bayou City Boy 06-02-2022 04:49 PM

After you anneal, use a stiff load to fire form the cartridge shoulder completely with one shot. An accurate load can come later.

Having to do it twice with a lighter load only takes you back to the possibility of having to anneal again to keep the partially formed brass from splitting the second time around.

-BCB

georgeld 06-03-2022 06:53 AM

Check the neck diameter of the chamber.

I had that problem with too tight a neck once.

Every case split the neck when fired.

There HAS to be enough opening there to allow

the case to expand and release the pressure.

Bill K 06-03-2022 01:01 PM

As you stated, some of it is very old brass. Probably was not annealed when it was load and has case hardened, from sitting so long, prior from you buying it. As others have stated anneal it and find or form some newer brass also, which I would guess you are doing anyway.
Enjoy the old girl and have fun. :)

Intel6 06-03-2022 02:25 PM

I was finally able to find some new (blue bag) Winchester .218 brass to form into Mashburn for my Cooper 38 almost 9 years ago. I read the forums as saw that many had shoulder splitting while fireforming, so I borrowed my buddies annealer and annealed the 300 new cases I had. Even with them being annealed I still lost more than a few cases to shoulder splits during fire forming even though I started with new annealed brass. I tried using different loads and powders to see if I could lessen the splits but nothing worked. Unfortunately the splits just kept happening as I went along and I ended up losing about 10%. I saved the cases thinking they might be useful and ended up turning them into short cases I could use for shooting heavy bullets in my original chambered .310 Cadet.

Daryl 06-04-2022 05:35 AM

I got cracked shoulders until I increased the fire forming load for my .17AH.