Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "20" Fireball?? (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35565)

Nor Cal Mikie 05-19-2019 12:48 PM

"20" Fireball??

Anybody tried necking down a .221 Fireball case to 20 WITHOUT changing shoulder angle? I see lots on other cases mods but most have different shoulders. Down to "20", load and go shooting. A true "20 Fireball".;)

rustycj8 05-19-2019 03:14 PM

I’m not sure about the specifics but how does the 20 Vartarg compare to the 20 Fireball? Dave

17VLD 05-19-2019 03:45 PM

Remington should make a 20 Fireball...

The 20 VT has a 30 degree shoulder while most of the original small .378” bolt face Remington rounds were 23 degrees.I really like 30 degree shoulders,and love the 17Mach1V and 20 VarTarg also the PPC and BR cases benefit from the 30 degree shoulder.I think if Remington came out with a 20 Fireball regardless of shoulder angle I am sure it would sell like hot cakes.My vote would be for a 30 degree shoulder,I would hope if Remington did do it they would keep it around for a while.I think as many people already know the 20 VT fills a very useful spot between the rimfires and the bigger 204.Hard to believe not everyone reloads and for these folks a 20 VT variant would be helpful to a bunch of people.We have seen in the past though that common sense isn’t so common and Remington may never get smart enough to do it.:D
Matt

Rick in Oregon 05-19-2019 04:04 PM

I had a sit-down with John Nosler two years ago, and tried to extol the virtues of the 20VT to him, at a ripe point in time to 'introduce' it as a their own factory round. They already have bullets, make their own brass and load their own ammunition. I even offered to put in touch with TK to discuss it further, but soon realized that at that particular company, bigger is considered better, and not more than a year later, the 22 Nosler appeared.

Guess that request never got considered, and so much the pity, as it was truly an excellent opportunity at the right point in time for such a move. These days, if it's not "AR-Ready", it's really not interesting.....to them. :cool:

Bill K 05-19-2019 04:19 PM

It is a shame in my opinion. I really believe if a company would come out with a very decent line of cartridges based on the 221 fire ball case i.e. 221, 20, 17 caliber, with the 30 degree shoulder, they would sell a ton of them. Anyone of them are fine shooting cartridges and would serve a great many of the varmint and even some larger game animals.
But it does seem like, the present mode is either AR base or Long range shooting. In many ways sad. But it is their business's. BIll K :)

Dean2 05-19-2019 06:09 PM

Those of us on here are enamoured of small cases, small bullets. We are a very small minority. There is a reason the 17 FB is no longer chambered, hardly factory loaded and brass is scarce as heck. Even the 204 doesn't exactly fly off the shelves and it is by leaps and bounds one of the more popular sub 22 rounds. I even have concerns about how long the 17 HH will be around for.

Like the rest of you I would like to see factory 20 FB but realistically, for those of us that are interested they are easy enough to make and we don't buy factory ammo anyhow.

Bayou City Boy 05-19-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 281738)
Those of us on here are enamoured of small cases, small bullets. We are a very small minority. There is a reason the 17 FB is no longer chambered, hardly factory loaded and brass is scarce as heck. Even the 204 doesn't exactly fly off the shelves and it is by leaps and bounds one of the more popular sub 22 rounds. I even have concerns about how long the 17 HH will be around for.

Like the rest of you I would like to see factory 20 FB but realistically, for those of us that are interested they are easy enough to make and we don't buy factory ammo anyhow.

An excellent post laced with reality, IMO.....

-BCB

L.Sherm 05-19-2019 06:21 PM

Rick I dont know who's doing Noslers design and decision making but to put it bluntly they need to pull there heads out of there a$$$$.
The 30 and 28 were a joke with the freebore they saami spec'ed. The 20VT would have been a far better choice than the 20 Nosler which hasnt even been introduced other than the reamer, hence I think they finally figured out would be a flop.

Rick in Oregon 05-19-2019 06:30 PM

I'm certain you are all correct. Profit comes before everything else. But as all here are "on the same page" so to speak, I thought the conversation with John would at least have spawned a bit more interest. Guess not, as is obvious.

We may be a small niche, but we are relevant, just not enough it appears. :cool:

Sherm: Thumbs up!

varmintshooter 05-19-2019 06:47 PM

In my opinion you run a 221 thru a 20 vt die load and shoot. Its not like you need to waste time fire forming brass it just happens. I can't tell the difference between the forming shot and those already formed. I like to think that the 30* shoulder helps to keep the brass from stretching.