Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ground hogs (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37971)

Qaz 09-07-2021 04:14 PM

Ground hogs

For those on the east coast as I am; Where are the ground hogs? I have not been out after them for several years and now am able to and can not find them. I have shot two this year and have only seen three. I don't know if the draught killed them, coyotes or a virus! I have only seen a few along the side of the road dead and that is unusual around here.
What about you cats in other states or else where in VA, are you seeing them?

Hog Patrol 09-07-2021 04:20 PM

This was a light year for me in the hay fields. In my area, coyotes, foxes, bald eagles are taking a toll on them, especially the little ones.

Herb in Pa 09-07-2021 05:21 PM

Pretty thin count here in Western PA (about 40 miles southeast of Pittsburg) I'm not sure if they have moved to more urban areas, coyetes or a bit of both. I don't see them as much in open fields, seem to be favoring the tree lines more.
Only 14 so far between me and my shooting buddy...........ususally harvest in the 40's.:confused:

Eddie Harren 09-08-2021 11:38 AM

Groundhogs

North Central Maryland here. My kill rate has been way down on several of the local farms. Farmers all report hearing the yotes at dusk nearly every evening.
I bought an electronic call for the yotes and hope to learn how to kill some. It's sure gonna be strange sitting in the field with all that racket going on (from the call) as opposed to sitting in the edge of the woods overlooking the soybeans on a quiet evening.

bryani289swmi 09-08-2021 01:12 PM

We’ve gotten about 15 at my place in Michigan this summer, a friend of mine has gotten around 25 which is normal for us. This year thus far I’ve shot more than 20 raccoons, that is the most ever for me. Thanks.

Bryan

Bill K 09-08-2021 02:19 PM

In my area, with the fires, very dry and hot, hot weather this year. My score on rock chucks was only 18. I could have weeded out a few more, but due to the conditions around here ( and it is still very dry, hot and the Dixie fire going into it's second month) I backed off for the year and let them alone.
Now most are back into the den's for the season, so will wait until next year to start scoping out more.
Often in this area, I can get upwards of 50 or so, before backing off and leaving seed for the next year. :)

Qaz 09-08-2021 11:13 PM

It sounds like between the heat and the coyotes, ground hogs have had a hard time in the mid-atlantic area this summer. But it sounds like other areas of the country have not had it so bad and had a good crop to shoot! I am going out in the morning for a few hours to see what I can find. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Eddie- Although I have been successful calling from the field. I have done far better setting the remote caller in the field and sitting in the tree line. Watch the wind and use natural funnels to your advantage. Good Luck.

admiral 09-08-2021 11:49 PM

Not east coast but here in MO they are thicker than I have ever seen before.

HillbillySniper 09-09-2021 01:44 AM

Ive shot 92 Groundhogs so far this season since the End of June. All shot within 45 mins of where im from in three different counties. Shot with 17 Squirrel, 17 Ackley Hornet, 17 TAC, 20 Vartarg, 20 TAC, 22-204

foxhunter 09-09-2021 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admiral (Post 299634)
Not east coast but here in MO they are thicker than I have ever seen before.

that's because i moved out of state.