Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   just got lucky (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13826)

david12601 04-19-2011 12:20 PM

just got lucky

I picked up a cooper model 21 in 223 this weekend it only has about 60 rounds fired and it came with an older simmons 6-20x44 ao scope....I am going to put on one of my sightrons and I was wondering what base and rings are people using for cooper rifles....my other rifles have weaver ,warne,ded nutz,and angle loc.....I want to get this rifle set up so I can shoot this week end .....thanks

RebelSquirrel 04-19-2011 12:39 PM

Most of my Coopers have Talley rings and bases. Almost need 3 hands to get them mounted up but have always liked how there perfectly aligned with the bore not to mention the nice clean look they have.

Alex 04-19-2011 01:10 PM

My favorite bases are Warne "Weaver style"

with Burris Signature rings. Usually the Medium height rings are correct for 40-44 mm diameter objective lenses. They hold the scope without marking it. Have Talleys on several of my Coopers, but don't like them near as well.

Alex

david12601 04-19-2011 03:40 PM

I was thinking of the zee rings this gun had leupold originally and the previous owner used them on another rifle....he put weaver bases and a detachable rings with a 6-20x44 simmons scope it is an older simmons ,but I have a couple of sightrons that I bought from manventure outpost so one of them will get the nod.

Bighornbob 04-19-2011 03:51 PM

Talleys

I am sorry guys but Talley rings are a Pain in the Arse. I have Leupolds on all of my Coopers, 30mm and 1 inch tubes.

I don't see the attraction for Talleys. Are they better?? Lighter?? I think they are ugly to boot. That's my opinion. I don't like the screws and big seam on top.

BHB

Hal 04-19-2011 05:06 PM

Bob

I agree with you . I think the Talley's rings ruin the lines of the rifle.
Every time I see a pair, they remind me of the graffiti drawing "Kilroy was here" with the pair of eyeballs peeking over the fence or a pair of frog eyes sticking out of the water.
That's just my opinion, to each his own ...
I prefer the Zee rings with the inserts.

Hal

Chuck Miller 04-19-2011 06:22 PM

I have both

I have both Leupold and Talley and would give the edge to the Leupolds. I like to center the reticle on scopes I mount, then using alignment bars mount the rings. I can then move the rear adjustment to center the reticle while re-checking with the alignment bars. I end up with a stress free mount and don't have to use the reticle adjustment just to get on the paper. With Talley's you mount them and that's what you get, many times you'll use half of your adjustment just to get it centered.

17varminter 04-19-2011 06:29 PM

I thought it was the other kind of "lucky", but no matter. I had Talleys on my Dakotas as well and switched to Leupolds as well.

david12601 04-19-2011 08:42 PM

I get that ( lucky ) a lot I have a real sweetheart for a wife........

Gary in Illinois 04-19-2011 09:37 PM

Leupold bases for Dakota

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17varminter (Post 101794)
I thought it was the other kind of "lucky", but no matter. I had Talleys on my Dakotas as well and switched to Leupolds as well.

What style of Leupold bases did you find for your Dakota? Assuming that it is a Predator I found only one choice: Weaver style Mark 4 front bases for a Model 700 Remington were the only thing I could find and had to call Leupold for those. It would curl your hair if I told you what I had to pay (at that price I should have "gotten lucky")! I wondered if you had come up with any alternatives.

Gary