Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Load Data (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Dogtown & 222 (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33615)

Ole 2 Shot 01-12-2018 11:31 PM

Dogtown & 222

Guys, I had to stop lurking again. I got a new to me old Model Seven .222 rifle and I have a bunch of the 34 grain bullets. I like to daytime call coons and would like to set up this little rifle to shoot in the range of 2600 fps. I know you will tell me if this is possible. I cannot find info anywhere for this bullet to get this low. I like VV powders, but will try anything you might suggest. If I am all wet with this idea, please tell me. Thanks to all in advance.
Ole 2 Shot

Bill K 01-13-2018 01:34 AM

Dogtown & 222

I believe you could find a good load with that bullet and your 222 Rem using a charge of Trail boss. It would make a good and fairly quiet load and should be more than accurate enough for 100 or less shots.
Various manuals show the load area for Trail boss in various cartridges. You will find that that Dogtown bullet is a pretty good one, it actually is a Nosler Shot, standard cup and core hp, made for Midway and Midsouth for their bulk bullet sales. Bill K :)

Ole 2 Shot 01-13-2018 03:22 AM

Bill,
Thanks, I went to IMR web and it had an area for reduced loads for Trail Boss.
It mentioned that you fill the case with TB to the bottom of a mark on the case where your bullet will rest. Measure the weight of this amount and take 70% of that amount for your starting load. They seem to think this is a safe load.
Ole 2 Shot

Bill K 01-13-2018 01:08 PM

Dogtown & 222

Follow the load info/directions and you will find a load that suits your needs, I bet. Enjoy. I don't have any info, off hand, but you can also check around and there are reduced loads for the use of HP38 pistol powder, that would work also. Bill K :)

Dean2 01-13-2018 05:34 PM

2600 fps is not real much of a reduced load in a 222. If you want quiet and accurate at around 1500 fps, Trail Boss is very safe and easy to work with. It will kill Coons fine at that speed. You cannot get enough in a bottle neck cartridge to give you pressure problems. As long as you stay away from compressed loads the loads are very consistent and accurate, if you compress you get a wide SD and poor groups.

TB meters and goes through a funnel real well and even at 70% gives a good fill on most cartridges so it is not position sensitive. Work up a load with TB and standard primers and you will be very happy.

If all you want is to drop to 2600 FPS pretty much any powder listed for the 222 can go that low. you can also reduce 4895 loads to even less than that using the info on Hornady's website. Try 18 grains as a start and work up or down from there.

Ole 2 Shot 01-13-2018 07:58 PM

Dean2,
Haven't talked to you in quite a while. Thanks for the info on the 4895. I will try that to. Just want a milder load than I use in my Kimber. This ought to be a fun little gun with the 18-1/2" barrel.
Have a good one.
Ole 2 Shot

Dean2 01-23-2018 03:13 PM

Glad to hear the 4895 load worked out so well. Does it seem any quieter to you, I doubt I could tell the difference ,though I really can using TB loads.

Ole 2 Shot 01-23-2018 05:55 PM

Imr 4895

Dean,
The 4895 with the Sierra #1200 Hornet was so good I did not even try the TB yet. Dogtown's were all over the place. It seemed to shoot like the hornet and shot 3 @ .319, but just at 50 yds. Have not chrono the load yet but you might know, I got 5 bullets left and had to order more. Some loads just feel good when you pull the trigger and this was one of them. Thanks again:)
Ole 2 Shot

snert 03-07-2018 07:05 AM

4 grains Unique...used this for years on neck sized cases that had once been full power loads (do not mix reduced load cases with others). I used this for tree squirrels. Never had an ignition issue. Most accurate 50-75 yard load I ever tried in 222. I used the 224 40 grain Sierra hornet bullet. I never chrono'd it, but expect is was 22 magnum velocity. i went up to 5 grains and it was good too. I settled on 4 for noise reduction and accuracy.

I have seen suggested Blue Dot loads as well. Google some articles by Calhoon.

GrocMax 03-07-2018 11:26 PM

The SHOTS/VNE/Dogtown 34g 20 and 22 cal are a surprisingly good value bullet, both performance and terminal splat. No BC to speak of, in fact it may even be a negative BC (ha!), but they work well at short range (350 yds and under). have yet to find a tube that won't shoot them well enough for small varmint blasting.

Hard to beat 8 cents per.