Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mini Howa Custom Floormetal etc... (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33729)

Rick in Oregon 02-06-2018 01:58 PM

JRA: Absolutely beautiful work. Reminds me of the superlative work done by Pete Grisel when I moonlighted in his shop back in the early 80's.

Stunning attention to detail and crisp execution; mighty fine work! Thanks for posting some real drool material. :)

moorepower 02-06-2018 03:40 PM

Very fine work. For this group, you will need a stock that fits a heavy barrel inside. I think if that was my gun, I would keep it in a glass case hanging on the wall, because I would not want to get it dirty.

ray h 02-06-2018 03:57 PM

Thanks for the reply James. Beautiful Brno.

Tparrish 02-06-2018 07:39 PM

Mighty fine looking rifles for sure, you done good sir.

Tom

camel 02-06-2018 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRAgunmaker (Post 266283)
The client wanted the G33/40 look. Shane Thompson whittled that part of the receiver.
If you have ever hunted with a MiniX you know how frustrating it can be to load the magazine. I cutout a loading gate thumb slot that mimics the cutout on a pre64M70 receiver for bolt guide clearance.

I would definitely do this on the Mini Howa as well.

Here's my personal MiniX with the above mentioned treatment.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_03172.JPG

Oh rito, I have three of these fine little actions, no where near as flash as yours, but they do the job. Dont have any trouble loading the mag, but I guess everyone is different. I do really like all those jobs you have done, would lock them up if they were mine, I wouldnt be game to use them. :)

JRAgunmaker 02-07-2018 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon (Post 266284)
JRA:Reminds me of the superlative work done by Pete Grisel when I moonlighted in his shop back in the early 80's. :)

I hung out with Pete some when he lived in Sturgis and then when he moved to Rapid City. Took a checkering class at his shop in Sturgis taught by Bill Knechtel. Always learned something from him. He did however hate my open grip stock design.
Quote:

Originally Posted by moorepower (Post 266288)
For this group, you will need a stock that fits a heavy barrel inside

I'm a little confused why someone would want a slim lightweight mini action and then put a heavy barrel on it. There are several very good standard size actions that work well with big barrels. The CZ I bought in 204 is my least favorite rifle to shoot because it's got a heavy barrel and handles like a ladder in a 3 Stooges episode.

I guess I think others would enjoy a light quick handling Jack Whacking walk around coyote rifle.

This is why I'm asking for the opinions here though.

I appreciate all the good feedback here.

shortshot 02-08-2018 08:23 PM

Mark x

Beautiful work JRA. Have you ever mounted a Mini Mark X bottom metal to a CZ 527?I have the bottom metal and CZ but haven't figured out how to matte them together. Would be nice if CZ would do it.

johno 02-08-2018 09:18 PM

Now there is a thought

Johno

Bayou City Boy 02-08-2018 10:16 PM

Sadly a few of the great gunsmiths of the American Classic era are slowly fading away..........

-BCB

Bayou City Boy 02-08-2018 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRAgunmaker (Post 266305)

I'm a little confused why someone would want a slim lightweight mini action and then put a heavy barrel on it. There are several very good standard size actions that work well with big barrels. The CZ I bought in 204 is my least favorite rifle to shoot because it's got a heavy barrel and handles like a ladder in a 3 Stooges episode.

I guess I think others would enjoy a light quick handling Jack Whacking walk around coyote rifle.

This is why I'm asking for the opinions here though.

I appreciate all the good feedback here.

I'm of the same belief. A small petite action with a log for a barrel is not my idea of fun either.

I still own some Heavy Barreled rifles for pd shooting, but I much prefer a trim light rifle for walking around, something which I seem to be enjoying more as time goes by.

JMO - BCB