Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mini Howa Custom Floormetal etc... (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33729)

moorepower 02-09-2018 01:00 AM

I guess that depends on if you shoot in dog towns or not. I would call my L461 small but it looks fine with a varmint barrel on it🤔

Bill K 02-09-2018 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moorepower (Post 266401)
I guess that depends on if you shoot in dog towns or not. I would call my L461 small but it looks fine with a varmint barrel on it🤔

Same with me Moorepower. I have small actions with heavy barrels for bench/varmint shooting and I have small action with sporter barrels on them for walk abouts. Nice to have some of each, for various styles of shooting. Bill K :)

JRAgunmaker 02-09-2018 02:06 AM

CZ managed to machine the sides of the action under the wood line so thin that it isn't possible to open it wide enough for a standard staggered 223 magazine.

Bayou City Boy 02-09-2018 02:08 AM

As I stated in my post, I have some of each style of rifles and I regularly do bench shoot PD's as well as walking for targets of opportunity. That doesn't mean that I have to think that both styles of rifles look equally balanced as a complete rifle. YMMV from mine, which is fine by me......

In true custom rifles like JRA builds, lighter and more petite generally wins the beauty prizes. Kinda' like trying to find a chunky lady that looks better than a slender one with great proportions........

-BCB

Branxhunter 02-09-2018 08:14 AM

Fantastic work JRA.

I love the work you have done on the Mini Mauser, Hoa mini and the Brno.

All a bit high end for our Camel though......:D

Marcus

JRAgunmaker 02-09-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branxhunter (Post 266416)
Fantastic work JRA.

Marcus

Thanks Marcus
The reason I'm building aftermarket parts for the mini Howa is to hopefully keep the spindle turning on my "new" CNC. I'm not looking at catering only to those that only want $15,000 customs commissioned. I go a little overboard nit picking at details when building a custom. When finished, I hope they all get used. I've used my personal plywood stocked MiniX extensively. It's still in the white because I keep telling myself I'm going to put it into a great piece of English Walnut and have it engraved. Problem is it's the smoothest cycling quickest handling rifle I own. Holds it's own in the "smooth as glass" department with my personal custom Mausers. Hard to believe starting with such a gritty, notchy new action. I can't stop using it!

When I got the Mini Howa, I was impressed with how smooth the bolt was and how well the action was machined. Much better than the MiniX. MUCH better than any Winchester I've worked on. Hopefully the Howa will be available for a long time. I'm hoping to build the floormetal, mag box spring and follower, 3pos safety, custom bolt handle and Wood and/or Synthetic stock for those that want to assemble their own favorite rifle they just can't leave at home.
James

pmg 02-09-2018 07:11 PM

Beautiful rifles your building there JRA. I thought I'd ask since it has been posted elsewhere on this forum, about a possible fix for the Howa Mini magazine release lever. It seems that guys are having issues with magazines getting released by accident even loosing them. I was wondering if you had thought about a fix for that besides the floor plate route.

shortshot 02-09-2018 08:52 PM

cz

Thanks JRA , for the info on the CZ. Guess I'll have to find more Sako A1's, thought I had enough at seven.

camel 02-09-2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branxhunter (Post 266416)
Fantastic work JRA.

Marcus

You want to go a bit easy there long fella, I might just crack the shits and un-friend you. :eek::p You will have to imagine me flipping you a big bird here. :D

georgeld 02-10-2018 03:56 AM

Lovely work there.

Too bad we lost Ed Shulin.
Great man, fine workmanship he did and QUICK too.
I have three of his "turned" stocks on my guns.
last one I bought the blank from his rack.

Thanks for sharing your "showmanship" with us.