Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lots of CZ 527 questions....any help is appreciated. (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36187)

Remmynut 12-13-2019 10:39 PM

Lots of CZ 527 questions....any help is appreciated.

The few 527's I had were the earlier models and I read about some "not liking" the "new" action/trigger/fit and finish etc.

Who has experience with both to give me a general comparison?

For a dedicated single shot 527 (re-barreled to a wildcat) with a chamber freebore giving a longer COAL than the advertised 2.26" , is J. Calhoon's single shoot adapter the best aka least costly option?

Barrel contours. Are the newer 6.5 Grendel barrels a different size than the 223? Also, while a barrel channel can be opened up for the barrel I'm assuming opening up the opening under the bolt to fit the Grendel size magazine ALL that would be needed if one DIDNT go dedicated single shot?

Anyone actually SEE a new 527 with nice wood grain like the early ones? All I've seen......well, let's just say they were "unremarkable" in appearance and that is the basis why Ive got the above questions on a Grendel barreled action in a 223 stock and what it would take to convert it. Life's too short to shoot an ugly rifle IMO. :)

A 6x45mm is one option but I've got my heart set on a 6MM Grendel (6mmAR, and other names) but just a simple neck down and go version therefore I think the Grendel/7.62x39 bolt face is mandatory. Not sure I'm all about opening up the 223 face to fit like I've seen mentioned on other sites. Scares me and I'm fearless. :eek:

Is the single set trigger still as good as the early versions? I have a Model Seven Rem in 6mm Rem I WAS going to rebarrel to a 6BR and replace the mag parts with 223 versions as suggested by Mike Bryant but the SS trigger is my favorite and the looks of a NICE stocked 527 is just hard to beat IMO so........looking at all this above.

YEP.......Remmynut is alive and kickin'. Haven't been around much other than lurking. Recovering from back surgery at the moment and NOT looking forward to a hip replacement in the spring. :(

I'll probably come up with more questions, lol.

For those with experience in any of the above whom are willing to help an old geezer out, I greatly appreciate any observations.

God Bless to each one here and your families this Holiday season.
Steve

Danny 12-14-2019 02:23 PM

Steve,
I can't answer all of your questions, but will address what I can. I had some of the early Lux versions from before you could get Americans and before people really talked much about the 527. I have a newer 527 American LH.

Wood: I think that my newer American has nicer wood than the two Lux versions. I don't think that one can make a blank statement of older is better and newer is worse. If you order, you take your chances. The best bet for wood, with any firrarm is buy FtF, or online where you can see the actual offering.

The new single set trigger is just as good as the old ones if you never "look under the hood". On my older ones, many of the pins were held captive by E- Clips. My newer one has the ends center punched to expand the end. I would rather it has the E-Clips. The newer triggers are a dlightly different contour, but it has not made any function difference for me.

Other differences:
The newer rifles are supposed to have a different bolt contour to allow more scope clearance. I do not know if mine is new enough to have that and I could never find something online to show the difference. The newer rifles have a different bolt shroud. It is just cosmetic. It is slightly more bulky, but more streamlined.

I think that is all of the basic, non model specific changes.

TinMan 12-14-2019 03:15 PM

Several years ago, maybe 15 years ago, I had heard that rifles for the US market were now being shipped bare from Europe to CZ-USA (KC), and the wood was being made in the US for the CZ-USA models. Don't know if that still is the case.

Johnly 12-14-2019 05:24 PM

I have a CZ527 in 6mmAR that was built using a Shilen 10 twist barrel. I can push 65 gr. Hornady V-max bullets at ~3400 fps with AA2200 with less than 1/2 MOA accuracy. It also shoots the Nosler 90 gr. AB bullet at ~2900 should I need to go after something bigger with it. The newer 6.5 Grendel/7.62x39 magazines feed perfectly, while the older 7.62x39 magazines don't.

If you're going to build a 6mmAR, I'd start with a 6.5 Grendel. See how the Grendel shoots for you, as you could always make your rifle into a switch barrel rifle.

Remmynut 12-14-2019 06:24 PM

Awesome

Thank you all. All good info and even more than I expected detail wise.

What's your 6mmAR's barrel length, Johnly? The info on the twist helps too. I've been struggling with that. 10 sounds like it would be good for the bullet weights Id shoot.

I'm going to pick up one in a Grendel here shortly and give it a whirl.
If I was rich I'd buy two and leave one as is. lol Maybe do that anyway but a couple months apart. With one in 6mm 10 twist for light bullets and the 6.5 for heavier and larger diameter, sounds like a plan.

Two rifles, same brass to start......:cool:

I've been doing some reading on the straight 6.5 Grendel in a bolt gun whenever I can find it. Sounds like I'd enjoy having both.

Thanks again. Just looking at photos don't tell me much but I could tell some things have changed and fewer seem to have nice wood here lately but, I wont die I guess.

Feel free to suggest a 'smith for the rebarreling.......anyone. Talked to Bob Green a bit but nothing carved in stone.

Has there been any improvements in bases and rings to get the scope down lower here in the last 10 years or so?

Many thanks
God Bless
Steve

Remmynut 12-14-2019 06:31 PM

A little head's up on good Leupold prices

One supply house has VX-R 4-12x40, some VX-3i scopes (two sizes) and also the VX-5HD 3-15x44 on GB starting at a penny and letting it rip.

There is a PILE of them. See link

Been going pretty cheap IMO. VX-Rs under 350 plus 10 shipping.
VX-5HD , duplex no firedot, low 600s.

Just paying it forward to the members here. Pass it along.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Gun-Scopes...&Sort=0&View=1

God Bless
Steve

219DW 12-15-2019 01:14 AM

gunsmith

Steve,
If you're in Northern indiana, you are a short drive from one of the best precision gunsmiths there is. Mark Penrod in North Manchester, In.
I haven't talked to him for several years, but as far as I know he is still in the business. I have contact info if you are interested.

Dave

Flynmoose 12-15-2019 01:36 AM

The only part of the original post I have experience with is Calhoon adapters. I have them (2) 22 Hornet and (2) 223. None of my loads would fit a magazine, the adapters feed very well. I have never had a misfeed with any of them, use with confidence.
Bill

Bill K 12-15-2019 01:45 AM

All I can add is that as far as the single shot adapters go. I found The Origianal Bob's Sled to work very well in my CZ's. May run just a little less, in price, than calhoon's. :)

montdoug 12-17-2019 01:50 AM

CZ Wood.

In the early days of CZ's making friends and fans in the States I was told by a CZ Tech that CZ Europe really didn't much care about the wood, wood is wood was their feelings. When they discovered how much the consumers were obsessed by good wood they released assorted kinds of laminate stocks and you could even order upper grade wood for additional $$. That was the beginning of the end of the fancy wood. I've even got a 527 .22 Hornet that came out with an English Walnut stock, not Eye Popping English but a nice looking stick to me. It's now a .22 K-Hornet :)

https://i.imgur.com/zUVwbG6l.jpg

According to the guy I talked to the rub came when say 3 guys all ordered upper grade wood on the same rifle. Rifles show up, one is real fancy, one is pretty good and the other is less so. Customers start to complain that my wood isn't as good as his so I want a new stock. It became more of a hassle to CZ than it was worth so they did away with the fancy wood and started getting all rifles delivered with basic wood.
In the famous quote from the cartoon of old "Pogo", "We have met the enemy and he is us"! No way CZ could make everyone happy in their tastes in wood so better happy customers with good shooting rifles then make a few bucks with the occasional fancy stick. Made sense to me.