Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Powder Coated Bullets???? (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33038)

Eagle_view 09-13-2017 10:53 PM

Powder Coated Bullets????

Had a discussion with a SASS shooting friend yesterday, he told about some their shooters using Powder Coated Bullets. I thought it was odd but further checking he is right. It the small amount of reading I have done it talked like some people are pushing varmint bullets to 3000fps with these coatings.

Has anyone on here tried them Prizm Powders??

CeraKote's Powder arm says that there is nothing abrasive in the powder.

Some people report using Airsoft projectiles and shaking them and your bullets to build static electricity in the bullets before shaking the powder over the bullets on a tray. then baking them in a toaster oven for 12-15 minutes at 400 degrees F.

Just wondering??

Lowell

dungheap 09-14-2017 01:51 AM

There's quite a bit of discussion concerning powder coating on the Cast Boolits site. One of those things I'm determined to try, just haven't pursued finding a used toaster oven yet. From what I've read so far, the stuff called "Harbor Freight Red" is inexpensive and works well, and most importantly, it's not something you want to do in your wife's kitchen due to toxic fumes.

Question is: Is it all worth it?

georgeld 09-14-2017 04:46 AM

Lowell:
I've got all the stuff to make 'em with. but, dragging my butt getting to it.
Have a friend here that has run a couple thousand cast, coated thru
his 9mm semi and says they're great. Brought a couple to show me that
had been fired into a rocky dirt bank. The coating is still on them where it
hit the rocks even. Shows the rifling too and not cut thru. Said he'd make
up a few hundred for me to try but hasn't brought 'em by yet. That's two months ago.

Supposed to not lead a bore, break or rub off, and allow soft cast to be shot at jacketed
velocities. I've read a bunch on castboolits.com about it.
One thing I've read is the black coating don't stick very well, so use other colors.
H/F costs about $6-7, or did when I got this stuff last year.
Need to use a few drops of: MEK (methal ethal keytone) IF I have the spelling right.
I paid $8 a qr for it at the auto paint supplier. This is nasty fuming stuff.
This is supposed to be the very best solvent for powder coating.
Most I've read about say to do it outside, or with a fan blowing to clear the fumes out.

Don't have to be a toaster oven, can be any heat source you can bake 'em in.
Like the kitchen oven even. No worries here, no wife!! IF it stinks me out with fumes,
I'll just open the doors and go out in the shop til it clears out.

TinMan 09-14-2017 11:27 AM

I can help with the spelling. MEK = methyl ethyl ketone. A very good 'hot' solvent, grease cutting solvents like acetone. They will attack (dissolve) most common plastics, so be carful when using it. Be very careful with it and don't use it around stock finishes also.

barretcreek 09-15-2017 01:08 AM

I have some of the stuff from one of the companies making cast bullets. I wonder if baking them under a bank of heat lamps would work? Good ventilation and I am not keen on putting a flammable solvent in an oven, anywhere.

Eagle_view 09-15-2017 10:02 PM

I am going chase this some more. I was thinking that it might make a great bullet for the 5mm with the molds that we got several years ago. I've had silver bullets, Black bullets maybe red bullets would be better. LOL

Thanks guys for your information.

Lowell

JSH 09-15-2017 10:27 PM

3000fps..... I will not say it can't be done. I have run 30 calibers up to 26-2700 fps with gas checked, lubed and sized.
I had a few doubt me, on my speed. I shot anywhere from 20-30 or a few more at a setting. One or two or even a half dozen is not a true test. Accuracy was up to what that rifle had done with jacketed in the past.

IMHO, size is still king no matter if they are coated or not. To get your 5mm up to speed I would say to be ready to get some leading. Getting out of such a small bore will be a chore.

I messed with the HF red for about a year. I am on the fence myself. It works, but my accuracy was off from known guns with known loads. I went back to lubing and sizing as I just don't have the time to devote to working up loads for everything I shoot cast in, it would take me several summers to say the least.

On the other hand NOE is making a 17 mold. I really thought about giving one a try. Then I came to my senses and bought a lot more jacketed. I got the 17 Hornet for the speed. I do play with my 22 hornet with cast as I got it to replace my rimfire.
Jeff

ray h 09-16-2017 12:18 AM

Lowell, GW ran some pretty high velocities from one of the 20 cal moulds that Bill West got a group buy for us from Lee. All he did was Moly them.

moorepower 09-16-2017 01:43 PM

The .22H would be perfect for that, for some reduced loads.

georgeld 09-17-2017 03:41 AM

Lowell:

Once they're coated, they need to be resized too.
AND don't Alox them first as the coating won't stick to it then.

As for the oven and solvent that don't happen. The solvent disolves
the powder so it sticks then evaporates before baking.

Don't know about heat lamps whether they'll get hot enough to melt the
coating. That's what the baking is about. I'm not sure but, think it takes
about 400 degree's for 10-15 minutes. Would need to read up on it again.
It's been 2-3 years since I got this stuff to play with it and never got to it
because of the health problems hitting again about that time.

Never gave much thought to coating small call stuff. Mostly pistol, and heavies
for this .358. I was wanting to have a mold made for it. Then a couple guys talked
me out of that because I'd never shoot it much. Hell I've got over $4000 in the
rifle, brass and supplies already. Time to quit and go hunting or at least to the
range again. I have 4-5 new guns and haven't even fired them in the shop trap
yet and it's only 30 feet from the door!

I just went to A/R cast bullets thread. Cal Pappas has one started about powder
coating. some pretty good suggestions on there already.