Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Load Data (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   .14 cal gr. bullet (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36990)

JohnW...ski 09-13-2020 11:01 PM

.14 cal gr. bullet

I need some 15 gr. bullets plus or minus, that measure .144 at the pressure ring and have a .1435 body diameter. Please contact me if you have any you want to part with.

Thanks,

John

The Old Redneck 09-17-2020 01:12 PM

14 caliber bullets

In order to get the exact bullets I wanted bought bullet making press and dies. Have dies for several different bullet calibers, shape points, weights etc and multiple bullet presses. Made swagged and turned bullets over the years .10 caliber to shotgun slugs. Even though I have the ability to make my own seldom do. It is easier to buy them from bullet makers that do it to make a profit. From your past post you were not satisfied with what is available. Making your own allows you to order dies to make exactly the bullet you want.

Gary in Illinois 09-17-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Redneck (Post 292182)
In order to get the exact bullets... Making your own allows you to order dies to make exactly the bullet you want.

Unless availability has changed dramatically since I investigated you need to be prepared for a LOOONG wait for the dies.

The Old Redneck 09-22-2020 02:43 PM

The wait for dies etc

The wait now is usually longer than it was several years ago. Doubtful it will get shorter, as the die makers get older will probably be longer. The list of die makers is not growing with an abundance of new people anxious to get in the business. I have made some of my equipment, not a quick, easy task but cut wait time. Bottom line is the wait starts after you order, not while waiting to decide or for someone else to step up and get in business. Most that are making the subcaliber bullets they shoot have no desire to go into business making to sell. The number of steps involved in making a quality 14 caliber bullet is why I usually buy instead of making my own. The number of people making them to sell is very limited. Making your own is one of the few options available especially if you are not satisfied with what is available

17tbs 09-24-2020 02:39 PM

Why not just design one you like in copper, and have them made in a bulk order on a CNC machine by a company that already makes small caliber CNC bullets. I can think of three companies that have produced .172" turned projectiles.

If you want something in a standard cup and core design you are probably going to be stuck with what ever is left over from those that have already been made.

What twist do you have, what is the case capacity?

If you are really interested in .14 caliber you might want to read this:

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/AD0331651.pdf

Extreme Accuracy 05-13-2021 08:44 PM

14 Caliber 15.0 Gr

John, how many are you looking for?

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy

JohnW...ski 06-15-2021 08:31 PM

15 gr. .144 Bullets

Just got some 15.0 gr. .14 caliber bullets from Don Unmussig, 804-320-1165.
Great guy to deal with and the bullets were perfect in every way.
John

sdguelde@hotmail.com 02-09-2022 06:09 PM

hey john was wondering what cartridge your were using Dons bullet in , what speeds your were shooting them in, and what barrel are you using? would really like to hear back from you. thanks scott guelde

JohnW...ski 02-10-2022 08:18 PM

.14/221 Eichelberger

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdguelde@hotmail.com (Post 301645)
hey john was wondering what cartridge your were using Dons bullet in , what speeds your were shooting them in, and what barrel are you using? would really like to hear back from you. thanks scott guelde

Hi Scott,
Good to see someone interested in .14 caliber. The cartridge is .14/221 Eichelberger. I am not chrono graphing them, the speeds I have are from the loading data a friend gave me for the powder I am using. The data was generated from a computer program he has. The speeds are between 3700 and 4100 fps and all were under an inch at 100 yards. Around 3800 was the best at .75 in. The barrel is a Pac-Nor 1 in 7,
3 groove super match barrel.
John