Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   As far off topic as possible, aftermarket pick-up motor and tranny question? (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35588)

montdoug 05-26-2019 04:44 PM

As far off topic as possible, aftermarket pick-up motor and tranny question?

Figured there had to be a gear head or two out there and I'm fixing to put an engine and tranny as well as paint ,new wheels and tires on my 1989 GMC K1500 4X4 (dang that's been a good truck!!). Gonna bump the horse power a bit and redo the suspension, got a fantastic body and paint man to do the beautifying and his Dad who's the best upholstery man do the guts.
Basically make my hunting a rig that'll make me nervous whenever I us it, brilliant huh :o?
I have a friend who owns a rebuild shop recommend a Jasper motor and tranny but another shop owning friend say's Jasper trannys aren't so hot???
Any experience out there? The 5.7L engine in it was about 204 horse at birth I believe but it's got beaucoups miles on it so it sure isn't putting that out now even though it still runs real well.
There's my question, as off topic as possible but you guys are the only guys I know to talk too. I'd like to say I'm having a mid life crises but I figure the chance of me hitting 142 is probably pretty slim
Thanks for any assistance in advance :).

GrocMax 05-26-2019 04:56 PM

6.0L LS engine, ECU, wiring harness, and 4L80E swaps are rea$onable and very, very popular these days.

GLWenzl 05-26-2019 07:43 PM

Way out of my league. I’ve done many of what you speak but haven’t done one since 1989 or 1990 and have forgot what little I know.

It’d be hard for me not to just use a new $50k pickup for hunting and everything else. I’ve been softened up by all the modern convinced... especially backup cameras (can’t bend twist my neck very far) and averaging 20.7 mpg on highway is still got me scratching my head...

Good luck on it Doug, I can’t wait to see sone photos after you complete it. Sounds like fun.

JSH 05-26-2019 08:35 PM

If it has a ton of miles on it, I would look at the suspension real hard. Springs go flat. Also look at all your rubber bushings all through the chassis.

fat cat 05-26-2019 08:47 PM

Chevy

Get the 350 four by main 260 horse engine from summit or Jegs! I've worked at Brodix cylinder heads for 34 year, seen a lot of good engines that's the best one for the money! Low compression run on any gas! 260 horse 300ft lbs

montdoug 05-26-2019 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 281914)
If it has a ton of miles on it, I would look at the suspension real hard. Springs go flat. Also look at all your rubber bushings all through the chassis.

So far all I've actually done is wheels and tires. The 6th of June I drop it off at Toms alignment considered the best in town for front end work. I was in the car business for a long time so I personally know most a these guys, told TJ (Toms son who grew-up in that place) to check out everything up there, transfer case to bearings to shocks to anything else he finds. A couple a guys here on the site who have been in that truck know what kinda monster hike it'd be if something up there shelled out and you were suddenly a pedestrian :eek:. The front end is a BFD when you're 75 miles from nowhere on a dirt road. Great points JSH! I'm a maintenance fanatic, I've lived out here in west all my life.

georgeld 05-27-2019 03:57 AM

Hey DOUG!!!

I have a 350 from my '88 GMC 4x4.

Wrecked it just after 3300, yes hundred miles.
New clutch all the way.

All the 4x4 stuff. Setting under a tarp on my patio.

You get it loaded and haul it ALL off for a Grand even.
I put way more than that in the machining. Bored, planed a bit too.

Both differentials, transfer, trans the works. New 2 core aluminum radiator,
39 gal gas tank. At least one mirror and some other loose parts. Carb isn't any good, let it set in the weather. Body of it's there. Truck was scraped out years ago.

Send me a pm with your txt number and I can send pictures even.

montdoug 05-27-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgeld (Post 281928)
Hey DOUG!!!

I have a 350 from my '88 GMC 4x4.

Wrecked it just after 3300, yes hundred miles.
New clutch all the way.

All the 4x4 stuff. Setting under a tarp on my patio.

You get it loaded and haul it ALL off for a Grand even.
I put way more than that in the machining. Bored, planed a bit too.

Both differentials, transfer, trans the works. New 2 core aluminum radiator,
39 gal gas tank. At least one mirror and some other loose parts. Carb isn't any good, let it set in the weather. Body of it's there. Truck was scraped out years ago.

Send me a pm with your txt number and I can send pictures even.

Sorry George, 3,300 mile engine and tranny sitting since on a patio for 33 years. 1988? 33 years? No insurance on a brand new truck huh? Bad plan. Gotta be a lot more then a carb gone to heck after sitting in the weather for 33 years. Can't see that without a lotta more parts besides the carb going to heck, count on it.
I got real fine mechanics doing top shelf work with a 3 yr 100,000 mile warranty on this, like I said I been in this business a long time. I think you missed the part about a "new crate engine and transmission". I don't have to drive to Colorado to find a junk yard ;). I'm gonna cherry this truck out, ground up. Not try to cobble something together from 1,000 miles apart outta scrap parts. For that matter mine still runs like a top as is, it's just got a lotta miles on it. Thanks but I'll have to pass on that one. Probably end up with a new crate, just curious about Jasper or Jegs or some a the others as they stand up to Good-Wrench. I'll figure something out with some help of some real knowledgeable friends but I wanna start new.

fat cat 05-27-2019 01:55 PM

Edelbrock

Edelbrock makes a great intake for low end power EPS I think? Square bore too! Get one of the Holley carb don't go over 600cfm! Get the 260 horse engine that carb an intake headers you'll be able to pull s tank up the side of pikes peak!!!

moorepower 05-27-2019 02:14 PM

I love Bilstein shocks. Far, far better than Rancho or other budget shocks. I have Nitto Exo Grapplers and they are the best tire I have ever had on my .3 Dodge 2500 Diesel I bought new. Edelbrock Performer carbs are a great bolt on carb. The factory GM long blocks are a very good buy. My only issue with what you are talking about doing, is if it gets totaled you just stuck 5-8K in a $1500 pickup.