Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Project Guns (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Savage prechambered (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34645)

JSH 09-10-2018 05:07 PM

Savage prechambered

I was headed onto building on a Remington, but the Savages have kind of taken over on my varmint rigs.
Anyone have experience with Shilens 17 Remington prechambered barrels.

Looking for something that will go over the top or at least equal the CZ.

The Savage actions have won out. I have about a dozen now and am happy with all of them.
Jeff

coyotespotter 09-11-2018 01:40 PM

Since no one as replied, I have a Shilen chambered AR15 barrel,with bolt. It is a 1/10 bull 24" barrel. Chamber is minimum spec, shoots very well with 25 gr and under bullets. At 300 yards it is usually in the 1.5 to 1.75 inch group, I assembled the rifle myself,model 1 upper-Anderson lower no trueing or bedding just a free float handguard. A friend has an archery elk permit for Montana, I'm taking this rifle for coyote, it is the quietest centerfire I have. Waiting on two suppressor stamps, I may have it cut down and threaded.

JSH 09-11-2018 05:54 PM

Thanks for the input. I sure wanted to stay with the 25's, and would really like to be able to play with some of the heavier bullets as well. Though I am happy with the 25's at least in the CZ.

moorepower 09-12-2018 05:59 PM

Very happy with my .204 prechambered, but can't tell you about their .17's, although I would bet they shoot very well. I am sure you know but Northland has ground nuts and recoil lugs also

Bill K 09-14-2018 05:02 PM

Savage pre-chambered

I have a 17 Fire ball, with I believe a Shilen made barrel and it is shooting lights out. Bill K :)

Herb in Pa 09-14-2018 08:40 PM

I've got a shooting buddy who got one (believe it's a Criterion) that was made for a Remington 700 action......he's happy with it.

Iowa Fox 09-19-2018 05:06 AM

Buds was selling Rem 700 SS single shot 40x style actions all summer for $373 delivered to your dealer, up in price a little now. I got one and plan to do a nut job, will probably use a Criterion barrel as I have had pretty good luck with them. I'll put a Jewell trigger on it but I think its going to have to really shoot to outperform my Savage single shot Precision Target Action.

I'm done buying head space gages for the nut jobs. All I'm going to use is a Hornady modified case and tape. That way I have a master case to predicate head space from. If its something Hornady doesn't make I'll mooch a case from a Pal.

Good stocks seem to be the hardest part to come up with.

TinMan 09-19-2018 01:19 PM

Not a Savage pre-chambered, but my 17 Remington is an L461 with a 24" Shilen pencil barrel with 1:10 twist. It shoots 20gr and 25gr HP or plastic tipped bullets, typically around 0.6 MOA. I have not tried any heavier bullets but am grateful the 25gr VMAX work in this rifle.

JSH 09-19-2018 09:48 PM

I thought this was going to be a quick and easy project, on a cheap budget NOT.

I really messed up not buy on a few of the savage rifles at cabelas last year,$219 after rebate.

Have found very few 223 or 204's for a donor action. Stagger feed magazine boxes are all but gone, none available. Inline straight feed boxes, have only found one and it was an 06 family.

I wanted a repeater blind box or detachable mag, made no difference to me. I have almost decided to go with a RB LP Target action as they are just a bit more than a complete rifle.

Will plod along and see what I can find.
I am tempted to give the Axis type actions a try. But folks I trust have warned me against them.

Bill K 09-19-2018 10:36 PM

Savage prechambered

Just curious, but what have the folks told you or warned you about the axis action as a donor. I have three of them and they have worked out just fine, with a couple switch barrels for each. Even putting them into boyd's stocks, with little or no fitting/adjustment. Use them in 224 Valkyrie, 204R, 223ai, 17 Fire ball, 221 fire ball. I do either work over the factory trigger or replace it with the Sav I from Rifle basic. Just for a bit of info. Bill K :)