Saubier.com

Saubier.com (http://www.saubier.com/forum/index.php)
-   Small Caliber Discussion Board (http://www.saubier.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT.....feeding the hungry (http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34439)

Herb in Pa 07-10-2018 01:01 AM

OT.....feeding the hungry

Buddy and I were groundhog hunting this evening. He had shot a hog and we were back in his Jeep glassing the area for more targets when I spotted movement near the dead hog. A young red fox appeared and dragged the dead hog off. I wonder how long a guy would have to wait to see that happen??

foxhunter 07-10-2018 01:39 AM

don't know about fox but when we shot prairie dogs we had the Mexican eagles trained. they used the George Armstrong Custer approach, ride to the sound of the guns because that is where the fight is.
the Mexican eagles would come from all directions and descend on the dog field and lunch was served (dead or alive).

Nor Cal Mikie 07-10-2018 12:26 PM

Had a friend mention seeing Skunks go after a freshly killed groundhog. Get it while the getting's good. Free lunch.;)

Bob Acker 07-10-2018 04:34 PM

Skippy will also dine on his departed friends. Had it happen recently and the dinor became the dinee--or something like that.

ramos 07-10-2018 04:46 PM

Skippy and ground squirrels both, have some cannibalistic tendencies. At least I think they do. I have often seen one dragging another back into the hole. I seriously doubt it is to give them a proper burial... :D

Bill K 07-10-2018 06:33 PM

OT......Feeding the hungry

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Acker (Post 272349)
Skippy will also dine on his departed friends. Had it happen recently and the dinor became the dinee--or something like that.

They are little cannibals and fed on their own kind often in the pivots we shoot, just watch one you hit and more often than not, another will come over and start feeding on it. I have stacked upwards of six on one mound as they fed one each other. Bill K :)

Bayou City Boy 07-10-2018 10:22 PM

In the mid 1970's and I was doing some coyote hunting on a family ranch in Wyoming during Christmas time. One morning that I went calling turned into a very nice but fairly cold day (upper 20's).

After the good calling time had passed, I went to a field where I knew PD's were, and I found a few up and sunning. I shot a few and while sitting waiting for another one to pop up, a big dog coyote came walking up out of a creek bed/gully and walked to one of the dead PD's and started munching maybe 250 yards from me.......totally oblivious to my presence apparently. I watched him eat the initial one and as he was walking over to the next one I couldn't hold out any longer and let fly with a 52 grain Sierra BTHP from a 22-250. IIRC, I got $65 for the coyote un-skinned.

And if you've never seen PD red mist on white snow, you've missed something..............

-BCB

georgeld 07-11-2018 04:39 AM

That's quite a price Hal.
sure be nice to fill a truck load of 'em at that.

And I thought I had a great deal going back in '95-99
on p/dogs: $2 ea head, $10 each for a few whole one's.

That one check paid the whole bill for new scope, stock,
rebarreling and the gunsmithing, plus a trip thru -300 Below
for the blank. Total was around $480.

Shoots like a dream too!

Bayou City Boy 07-11-2018 01:33 PM

Coyote prices were pretty good in the early and mid 1970's, George. $65 was not a top price for good northern coyotes back then.

I have never been paid for shooing PD's. That sounds like an even better gig if you can get it based on sheer numbers......... :D

-BCB

georgeld 07-12-2018 06:03 AM

Hal:

I didn't get "paid to shoot 'em"
I sold the heads and some bodies to a bone/skeleton reseller.

Can't do it any longer, Sam's and CO's laws put a stop to it.
Sure was handy at the time though.
I just cut the heads off, or if he wanted bodies, I'd take care to make
head shots. He just put loose heads with the rest.

I never got paid a dime for coyotes except once. Got $25 for one,
then after home tanned the guy gave it to me. Didn't do a good job of it
and shed all over my loading desk. H of a mess!

Mostly hunted with another member here and let him have 'em all.