Thread: fox load
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 06:06 PM

I've shot plenty of bullets against steel plate, railroad ties, Kevlar, Spectra, and other types of armor as well. I designed and built what was then WA state's largest indoor shooting range. I was the ballistics consultant for the subcontractor who designed the aircraft cabin armor retrofits post-9/11, developing the test protocols and building the test gun (a TC Contender Carbine with Bullberry test barrels) and creating the handloads (9mm, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum) for those protocols.

For those who doubt bullet blowup on the surface of critters, here's a clip from a coyote hunting video on YouTube... I've started it at the point where bullet splash and lack of penetration on a called coyote at close range occurs. Yes, the coyote is killed, but look at the massive surface wound. I imagine the bullet fragmented on the critter's sternum and while some parts obviously penetrated (likely along with bone fragments), the surface wound is spectacular. Warning: don't watch if you're squeamish. IMO this coyote died from massive blood loss, but the severity of the wound must have been painful enough to temporarily paralyze it until exsanguination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVAj-YQNhac&t=378s

Last edited by obijohn; 07-27-2021 at 06:09 PM.