Thread: fox load
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijohn View Post
I think the Core-Lokt is a good bullet for the .30-'06 and slower cartridges for eastern whitetail deer hunting. That's what it was designed for... a quick-opening bullet that had the core 'Lokt' to the jacket using the cannelure as a crimp. The bullets were designed to expand rapidly within 8 to 10 inches, and then to stop expanding and have the core drive the mushroomed bullet through, maximizing energy transfer. The Core-Lokt was considered a great deer bullet in the mid-Atlantic and Southeast when I was a kid (1970s), and the ads always featured beautifully mushroomed bullets. From my own personal experience, I know they do a JOB on eastern whitetails on a chest hit. I never recovered a bullet but the deer I shot with them had inch-sized exit holes and the lungs were jellied... and they ran 25 to 40 yards likely on pure adrenaline. I remember one deer that the bullet had hit the heart on a broadside hit and the upper half was torn away as well as the lungs destroyed... still ran 30 yards. I was and am surprised at the toughness of a deer. Never shot anything in the west with one
If you can get them into the chest cavity, they're a very effective bullet. If you need a lot of penetration before you can get to the vitals, they're the wrong bullet. This should have been a good bullet for a broadside chest shot on an elk. From the description of what happened (a strip of hide blown off that was longer/vertical than it was wide and no penetration), the bullet must have fractured and the spall took the hide with it. Maybe a defective bullet, maybe a bit of mud with a rock in it and the one in a million hit on the rock... who knows? I doubt the same results would have occurred if the bullet was a Nosler Partition.

My Gulf South deer hunting friends still hunt with them and still get good results. The people I've hunted mule deer and elk in the PNW don't use them... either in factory loads or handloads. It was a good bullet when it was designed in the late 1930s... we have better bullets now.
Long time Wash resident - King County most my life, I'm 75 Hunted both east and west Wash and Idaho. Shot a mule deer in Idaho in the neck and the bullet went through the neck (put the cross hairs on middle of white patch on neck), along side of the spine and penetrated 18" before coming to a stop. Mule deer and black tail not so different from eastern white tail. They all die with a good shot. This year mature muley in eastern Colorado (now home) shot behind left quarter as it was moving from 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock. The bullet went through lungs and lodged just forward of right quarter. Very little meat loss. Was using 6.5 Creedmore. About 125 yards.