View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Supporting Member

Default What not to do!!

I had a beautiful day to go shoot today. Feb 23 and 59 degrees! I decided to blow out of work to go shoot my 17 Beggs Money Shot for the first time. I had my 8-32x50 NF mounted and ready to bore sight. I bore sighted at the range and fire my first 17 Beggs with 30 gr Berger in front of 25.5 gr of H4895. It pierced a primer. I fired one more with same result. I decided to drop to 25 gr of H4895 but accidentally grabbed the 26 gr cartridges. This is the result! 26 gr blew the head off the 17 Beggs Lapua case. Thank goodness I had my safety glasses on. Let this be a lesson to all. Two things, when the bolt opens hard lighten your charge and pay attention to your choice of cartridge selection! It took about 15 minutes to stop the bleeding enough for me to continue shooting,

Here is the head of the 220 Russian Lapua brass which is still in the bolt face. Notice extractor is missing. It is on it's way back to Marty for repairs.

My pride on the other hand will take longer to repair.
My purpose of this post has been well received and I hope it helps some one, beginner or veteran with range safety. Please don't fire that weapon with out proper eye protection!
I watch people constantly shooting w/o proper safety equipment.
Load development will be less aggressive for me.

BHB

Last edited by Bighornbob; 02-24-2012 at 02:21 PM.