View Single Post
Old 03-21-2023, 01:47 PM

Don't recall specific numbers, it was 1989 or so when I worked there. We had a dedicated piloted reamer set that came with the installation kit. I knew the numbers at the time, but don't recall 35 years later.

We didn't do any definitive POI work but was aware that it changed POI usually very slightly, but not 7 inches. I would agree that weight is a factor as well as length of brake. I would expect substantial shift from a suppressor. Barrel harmonics of course.

Our brakes were sold to be close to muzzle diameter as possible, only slightly larger. On new barrel installs we polished brake and barrel together and it was difficult to see the joint. When we installed the brake on the customers barrel we turned down-tapered the back of the brake to blend it closer to barrel diameter.

The best brake gun combination I ever had was was Rugger 77 22-250 Varmint gun with a brake. That gun would hardly move when fired. You could always see the impact of bullet in the scope---light behind the target and you could see the red mist effect vividly. I no longer have that gun. Last I saw of it it it was in Virginia.

Sounds like I champion muzzle brakes. Not really. I only have one gun with true muzzle Brake. A KDF K15 in .308 Norma Mag that I got as a sales incentive. Amazing gun. Very accurate. Killed a bunch of game with it.

I do have several AR platforms with flash suppressor/brakes. I have assembled two HB AR's one a .223 and one a 6.8 SPC and purpose built without muzzle brakes. Still not a fan of AR's.

I also shoot a number of large caliber rifle .45 and larger mostly larger British cartridges. (bigger than 45/70) Largest being a .577 2-3/4" NE using 750 grain Barnes X bullets. Recoil is robust, but doesn't need a break. Also don't shoot this gun sitting at a bench over sand bags either. Standing over crossed sticks only.

Brakes have a purpose. I have one brake left rolling around in my toolbox. If I ever build another heavy .223 CF rifle for varmint shooting I will put it on. I need to be able see my misses so I can adjust. At 75 I tend to miss more than I use to.

Last edited by Double D; 03-21-2023 at 01:50 PM.