View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 04:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Something to be aware of, if you go with the 204 match chamber or it's like, you can not shoot factory ammo in them. Too tight and too much pressure can build and be dangerous. Bill K

This in spades.....^^^^^^^^

The 204 Ruger took from Roy Weathreby's playbook using lots of freebore when Ruger and Hornady designed it. If you go custom chamber, I definitely would not play too much with factory ammo.

History has shown that the 204 Ruger cartridge works well and gives good velocity and accuracy with the extra freebore built in a rifle chambered for factory ammo to keep pressures in line in all rifles. A custom short freebore chamber needs to be looked at as a "different cat" and to be dealt with accordingly.

I would not be concerned with having a 204 Ruger rifle chambered either way, but I would definitely reserve a rifle with a custom chamber and short throat to only use custom designed hand loaded ammo that I know works in it under all conditions.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine