View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
Thinking about getting this scope for a CZ 527 American. Wondering if I really need the AO on this gun??? Most shots will be under 200, but may reach out to 300 on an occasional coyote, crow or chuck.

Suggestions?
Short answer - NO.

Centerfire scopes are generally set to be parallax free at 150 - 175 yds. If it is a concern to you call Leupold and they can tell you where they set parallax on that particular scope.
Even if it has a bit of parallax it will not be enough to cause you to miss a crow, rockchuck or coyote at those ranges.

Another way around parallax is to position your eye behind the scope at the same place for each shot. I have a 4-12 Redfield that has almost an inch of parallax at 100 yds but I can still shoot 1/2" groups with it by making sure to position my head the same each time.

Parallax is easy to check - put your scope, or rifle with scope mounted, in a solid mount (even a cardboard box with V-slots cut in it will work) look at a target with a one inch square on it at 100 yds then without touching the rifle, or scope, with your head about the same distance as it would be when shooting, move your head slightly and you will see the crosshairs appear to move. This will give you an idea of them amount of parallax at that distance. This of course will work at any distance but 100 yds is easiest to get an idea of the amount of parralax - for me anyway.

drover