View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmntr View Post
Doug,

Did read your "Alberta..." thread and a big CONGRATULATIONS !!

Any insight on your decision for the 6.8SPC vs the Grendel ??

Don
Sorry Don, missed this earlier.

To answer your Question.

I have a friend who does animal damage control work. I have know him for 30 years. He is an incredible shooter and gunsmith. If you were shooting pistol silhouettes back in the 80's in the upper classes, he would be t he guy you had to beat. He acquired a 6.8 SPC and uses it with a Barnes 85gr TSX bullet. It is very accurate and kills large canines depredating cattle quite well. It is his primary gun.

While I was in Afghanistan based onmy friends experience, I bought Rock River Arsenal 6.8 SPC Upper in a military configuration. I really wanted a bull barrel, but no one was offering one. I also bought dies, brass, bullets and magazines.

When I got home I changed out the upper from a standard Flat top, to a Rock River AOP. After that, the gun just sat in the safe. i have never fired the gun. I just didn't like that military barrel. So I put the whole gun up for sale.

I still wanted an AR in the caliber range and kept my ear to the ground. Then Varmntr made this post and I chimed in. You see Stag Arms had sent me some spam saying they were taking orders for Stainless bull barrels in 6.8 SPC and I had my name on the list. I wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake twice and need to cancel my order.

I read that article. I looked at my 6.8 bullet supply, 6.8 brass supply and 6.8 magazine inventory. Weighed that against the details in the article and called the gunshop and said, 'pull my AR, not selling".

The bull barrel came and it is what I am looking for. I will sell the RRA 6.8 SPC upper-anybody want it? This spring I will start working on loads for the Stag Arms Upper.

For Montana it will become my truck gun when Gopher hunting, used when I encounter larger varmints. It should work also as a deer stand gun, when i have to learn how to sit in trees and hunt, after my move next year to Oklahoma. Should work just fine for that.

Just for the record, for t hose who know me, I still think a Martini is a better gun than any Matty Mattel in any configuration, ever.

Again, my apologies Don for missing your post earlier.