View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJx View Post
Powder is what they call hygroscopic, meaning it can absorb and retain moisture. I have found that powder left in my powder measure can actually dry out or gain weigh. I have actually weighed out a load on my Sartorius GD503 then reweighed the same load a few days latter and found it has changed in weight depending on the humidity differences at the time. I know most of you are saying it was just variations in the digital scale. But the Sartorius GD503 is a lab grade scale that the federal government will recognize as “Legal for Trade” in precious stones or any other material. This digital scales can weigh down to a single kernel of powder and I have found it to be deadly accurate and never varies. Since using the GD503 my extreme spreads are regularly in the single digits. I have since gotten rid of all the other scales I have tried over the years. This accuracy really isn’t necessary when shooting 100 or 300 yards or when you go to the range, take a few shots and rezero, but if you want to go out and have that first shot count in the field or in a long range match I have to believe it is. No my prairie dog loads come off my Dillon and don’t each get weighed. My match and hunting ammo on the other hand all get weighed.
AJ
Nice one AJ.
Neve thought about that my self but just a prompt like your post and it rings a big bell.

Another thought on powder measures that use a volume drum for consistant loads, I noticed that as the powder hopper got lower in use my weight got higherb so i used to weigh and adjust every 5th load.
At the time i was trying different powders to look for the best so i used to empty the hopper into its origional container after every loading session

I have now settled on Vhit N120 as my only powder so i leave the powder in the hopper on the measure at all times with the top on of course.
Because the powder stays in it must compact a little and giver a better and even density so the volume/weight does not alter so even though i zero the scale before every session and weigh the first few loads i dont need to adjust the measure so i usualy load about 15 rounds between weighing charges.
Note my charge comes up to the base of the neck on unformed cases to the shoulder on formed cases and I DO visualy check each load
Hand loading is a lottery and hopefully we all win
Wally