View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle_view View Post
Last year I found that the 5MM Craig is an ideal fall turkey rifle. Quiet, doesn't damage the meat if shot right and extends the range that you can shoot at. I haven't had much luck calling turkeys in the call and in these open prairies and hay fields, it is mighty tough to get a turkey within 40 yards. In Wyoming we can use rifle for fall turkeys, so I dug out my 591 with the 19-inch fat barrel and waited my time for a large flock to appear in a shootable location. The day and time came almost at the end of the season. I use the aiming point of where the wing attaches to the body. I shot the first one with that method and then feeling cocky I missed two head shot, guess I am not Sgt. Alvin York. I shot the other turkey just before the flock moved onto land that I could not shoot on. I use 30 grain Berger bullets and 5.2 grains of Accurate #9. I single load because of bullet length but found a foam five-hole screw bit holder with double sided tape at the auto parts store. It works well for holding the 5mm Craig cartridges handy.

Thunder thinks this is the very best way to spend an afternoon.
Cool set-up! Is the 5mm Craig faster than the 5mm Rem Mag? What would you consider your max distance on a turkey with that combination?