View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 06:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

A few yrs ago I was loading .223's with AA 2200 & reading the lable as that's all the data that I could find. IT said: 23gr max w/40gr bullets.
About that same time I read a posting somewhere of a guy claiming to be getting real good results with 28gr & 55's.
Just for kicks I filled a case full just to see how much it held. Don't recall now what it was but, wouldn't hold that much.

Two yrs ago while trying to find max in my NEF .17x28. I'd loaded & fired a single case five times with 10.0gr H110 w/20gr V max. Fired fine, case looked good to me. So I upped the charge .2, yes, only two tenths to a charge of 10.2gr. otherwise the very same load and same case.

I blew the gun up!! Primer pocket blew out to 1/4" dia & split the head. Broke a few parts, blew the plastic trigger guard to pcs, drew blood from my trigger hand several places, it blew the action open, broken firing pin among other pcs broken. I got very lucky as that's all the damage done. & the gun was repaired for less than $20 with some new pcs.

Tiny cases, can be very dangerous with a tiny bit of powder. Whether it would have been fine with 10.1 gr I have no idea, nor will I be learning either. My max charge will be 9.8 or 10.0gr.

A very good thread Doug, thanks for starting it, and thanks to everyone else for posting too.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"