View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 01:17 AM

Default Which Scope?

Bburrell,
If you cannot see it you cannot hit it!!! Always choose resolution over magnification. I have hit many prairie dogs at 500+ yards using a scopes on 6 power (17 Mach IV and other small calibers). I have owned most quality scopes (Leupold MKIV + LRT, Nightforce, Sightron, Swarovski, Unertl, etc). Going forward I am only buying Sightron. A good friend of mine works at Sightron and he has all the optical test equipment to test any scope, which we have done. Hands down the Sightron is the best value on the market, period! The Big Sky III offers Nightforce quality (resolution, repeatability, etc) for about 2/3 the price (retail). I have many 6-24x scopes and when shooting prairie dogs the magnification is usually on 10-16x. Too much magnification reduces the field of view, which is very important when those little critters start to charge or run off in all directions. It is often difficult to follow the little critters when shucking the bolt or inserting a magazine when the power is too high and field of view too narrow.

EJ