View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 03:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

In other words I'm asking for trouble's having three? yr old buckets full of .223 and pistol ammo just waiting on me to get around to shoot it up?

Around 20yrs ago one of the late wife's cousin's was telling me how he had used a beat up old M94 for elk quite a few yrs. Since at that time I was no longer hunting I offered to loan him my /17 Enfield .300Win/M and furnish the ammo. Couple months later when I went back to his place. He handed me a 7mmag case with several splits on the shoulder.
That was the second shot he'd fired, missed the target and saw the splits, put it all away until I got back up there, he used the '94 again and since far as I know.
That was MY screw up as I'd loaded both batch's of ammo and got some mixed up in the 50rd box's. There were a few other 7's in that box too.
When I got home, all the boxes came out for inspection. Needless to say, there were others where they shouldn't have been. He'd never been around either carts before and didn't know the difference between them even if he had noticed.

I always look at each case before loading, or putting them in my pocket on a hunt and have never had such things happen to me, even though I have found the wrong one a very few times. Those shell's had been in those boxes at least 5yrs as I hadn't fired a gun in at least that long. All my equipment and guns had been put away due to marrying a 'bambi lover" I thought was more important to please than go hunting.

Lotta lesson's to be learned here, real good thread, keep it up.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"