View Single Post
Old 06-02-2021, 11:44 PM

Best of luck finding a new round for that little Remington rifle. I bet the action will handle your plans once you work out the details.

I have no machining skills, so about 20 years ago or so I bought two Schroeder centerfire bolt heads for my 591 and 592 5mm Remingtons. Back then, there were no new 5mm rimfire rounds available on the market, so going to centerfire seemed the way to go. I've had 5mm Remingtons since they were introduced in 1970, and the performance of that little round and their rifles suit my needs perfectly.

I'm happy I made the centerfire conversions, since these little rifles have been shooting well all these years, and still do today. In fact, I had two 10-year-old grandsons reloading for the little rifles last month; each one loaded 50 rounds for the two rifles. Then, they used their reloads at 90 yard targets to great effect. Both rifles have 12X scopes on them for use on crows out to 150 yards or so. They do get that job done very well.

One of the advantages about the Schroeder bolt heads is that you can save the original rimfire bolt heads for rimfire rounds. All it takes is removing a pin to change them out. Although I'd never go back to shooting rimfires, I can if I wanted to. But my centerfire rounds using the Schroeder cases made from 22 Hornet parent cases are working way too good for me to ever consider rimfire again.