View Single Post
Old 04-09-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
Do you know anyone local with a lathe? I use the threaded Lee die bodies and a lathe to make various custom sizing parts for my wildcats and experiments. With the threaded die body, all you need to do on the lathe is turn a cylinder that fits and does whatever sizing shape you're after. Maybe a local machine shop could make you a few different bushings for not too much.

As you're finding, if you can do a few smaller sizing steps instead of one large one the result and success rate is usually better.

Or, maybe you can just buy the formed brass from someone.
I have a bucket of WW 30-30 and only use it for 7-30 Waters & 357 Herrett and would like to take advantage of it before buying formed brass.

I have been making cases for my buddy’s 6mm Remington from 30-06 by using a gutted 30-06 sizer then a gunshow special 7mm Mauser and 257 R dies that were a couple bucks each on the way down. Then they just need to be trimmed and reamed after going through the 6mm Form/Trim die.

The 219 DW set takes a big jump from the #1 to the #2 and going with a 6mm on the way looks to be all that it needs to get it through the #2 without the shoulder collapsing. It does fine until it gets to the point that the 6mm bottomed out.

Every once in a while I get lucky. My 17 Remington die is a legend around here, it does one pass 223 -> 17 Remington and every body else’s just collapses the shoulders. Back before every Tom, Dick & Harry had a 204 Ruger size die as an intermediate friends used to come by with a bucket full of 223 range brass and they were able to knock out five or six hundred in a couple hours. One forgot to swage out the primer crimps and had to visit me a second time after throwing the first batch away and really wasn’t all that upset because it works so slick.