View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 PM

Default Converting Browning .243 WSSM to hornet?

Hi all,

Hoping to pick some of your brains here...

I have a .243 WSSM A-bolt that I just had to have when they came out, but now it just sits in the safe as my .243 gets all the action. There is a "slim to none" market desire for this caliber in a bolt rifle (around here anyway) so selling is pointless... Just wish I wouldn't have bought in to the hype in 2004!

I have been lurking for awhile and I'm active on other forums (mostly Predatormasters), but figured this is the best place to ask the following:

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert my .243 Winchester Super Short Mag Browning A-bolt to a 22 hornet (likely a K-hornet)?

I've read about the "pain in the rear" A-bolt barrel to receiver threading/lock tight (use heat and the proper tools to remove). The action should be plenty large enough for the short hornet cartridge and I would assume plenty strong enough to handle the pressures produced by the hornet vs WSSM.

Next would be changing the bolt head, ejector, and extractors... Is this possible or would it require a completely new bolt (read $$$) and would not make this a feasible project.

Finally, I see that Pac-Nor or Shilen would make a replacement barrel for the A-bolt, which covers the new barrel aspect of this conversion.

New bolt face/head and a new barrel = good to go? Or what else am I missing?

If you think this would work (and since there is very little for info on it) I would gladly document the process and do a write-up for the internet world!

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Jon