View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
i'm thinking of replacing the barrel with a 300 blackout in a 10.5 or 12.5". just think it would be a better deer round especially with barnes ttsx 110 bullets.
anyone have one of these?
A few notes on the 300. if you do go that route make sure you get the "black tip" 110's (think its the tac-tx) as it's designed for the velocity threshold of the 300 blackout. the ttsx needs more velocity to function correctly.

However more importantly is if your like me and Murphy likes to loom above you be warned that a 300blk will (I repeat) will chamber in a 5.56. and as you can guess the outcome isn't pretty. I ditched mine for said reason. not worth the risk especially having young kids now.

If your going with a 10.5 or longer don't discount cartridges like the 6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc. they will require different bolts and mags however. they both offer a significant boost in terminal performance even from a 10.5-12.5" barrel. The new kid on the block also sounds interesting the .224 valkyrie. however muzzle blast from those lengths may be pretty gnarly.

And when speaking of wildcats the 25-223 would likely be about perfect. especially loaded with an 80ttsx. it's just a straight neck up and barrel away. you can even use a redding S die opened up with appropriate bushings so no custom dies necessary. going a little more custom there are some great options called the 6.5pcc and .277 wolverine and 7.62x40wt which are variants based on the .223 case. these all are capable of outperforming there bigger brethren from short barrels. (ie. 6.5 grendel and 6.8 spc) they do require fireforming though.

but in all honesty with the modern bonded/monolithic bullets I feel you'll be fine with a straight .223 especially for those sized deer and distance.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 08-07-2018 at 06:07 AM.