View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
Small world it seems. I shared a motel room with Ken during the US team tryouts in the 80's when it was held near Ontario, CA. Super nice guy and the speed and accuracy of his second shot set him apart from the other competitors.
Wonderful guy (exceedingly modest) who's coaching was so spot on that I went from shooting birds in the field and breaking an average of 21-22 targets to being competitive overnight.

I had 20/15 vision and lightning reflexes and got on targets very early, before the wind had time to complicate hitting them. I hunted behind five to seven of the best flushing dogs around and being able to hit multiple rising chucker or especially pheasant that can rise off of any one of the spread out dogs was something I loved. I worked for Ken and he watched me shoot at Orting Gun Club one evening and worked with me on what I needed to do to become good, he was such a great help.

I shot singles and was very competitive for the short time I was involved. I went back to school full time and could not practice three nights/week and go to shoots almost every weekend. I intended to take it up again, but my two Beretta 32 inch A303s trap guns were stolen and I haven't gotten back to it. Maybe some day.

I got to shoot international with him once and only wish I could have afforded to take it up.

My favorite shooting quote of all time was something Ken said one day when a guy at the gun club who was breaking 13 targets and not even hitting all that he broke. He said: I don't shoot targets all that well well, but I never miss live birds in the field. Ken leaned over and said to me that's something that if I had a nickel for every time he has herd the same story he would be a very rich man, the difference is in the field nobody is keeping score.

Tom Price is another friend of mine who shot on the Air Force Team.