View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 04:07 PM

JD and Kiwi, I'm using a Nikon D3300 DSLR with Nikon lens. The telephoto I used for the chuck pics is their AF 70-300mm DX. I gave up on digital zoom too, much preferring optical, as digital zoom always degrades the pic quality as you pump up the zoom value.

Like you JD, I've still got my old film camera, a Minolta X700 w/motor drive and a full set of lenses that I never use any more. No one sells film now, you can't find a place to develop it, let alone process slides any more. So now for me at least, it's all digital....easy to do post production compared to film and one h3ll of alot cheaper too. Maybe some day in the future our old film cameras will be like a "cool old find". Maybe.

Just for fun, here's a couple of a young buck that was wandering about the rock cliffs while I was taking pics of chucks. He was just moseying about nibbling the spring buds that were handy.

He would stop at all the low overhanging branches for a nibble, then move on to the next tasty morsel. I didn't want to discharge my rifle while he was close, sure didn't want to scare the little guy away.

I never know what critters I'll encounter while out in the sage and junipers sneaking about for rockchucks. But as our local paper had the below headline recently, it shows we have no shortage of them around here....

For me, it's the perfect place to live.....especially if you have an accurate rifle!