View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 08:56 PM

Default .22 Tanuki Update

Well, I've had the PTG reamer now for about 3 months but had no time to do the things that have to happen before I could chamber it. Namely, form some cases to use as a headspace gauge, and that requires grinding .110" off the bottom of a .223-to-.221 form and trim die to push the shoulder back and form the longer neck.

I got that done and more, and that's why I'm posting. Grinding the bottom of the die was easy enough, and I squared it up by chucking it into a 7/8" R-8 collet and turning the as-ground bottom on the coarse side of a whetstone using a milling machine. I also rounded the corner of the mouth slightly.

With that done, I thought I might also have a problem with the shortened die not having adequate length to screw down and touch the shell holder, requiring an extended shell holder, but there was just enough room. I merely lubed up some Lapua .221 cases, and out pops a .22 Tanuki case. I can't post pics yet, since PhotoBucket is holding me hostage for more money, but I'll get some posted as soon as I can.

I also compared the case capacity against that of a .218 Bee case. My quick and dirty was pretty close. I remembered an article in a 2002 Rifle magazine on a Cooper M38 in .218 Mashburn Bee. The author described in detail the various powder levels in a fire-formed .218 Mashburn case and even provided a picture of the level using 17 grains of 4198, showing it about 3/16" from the case mouth. Comparing the magazine pic and the Tanuki case, both filled with 17 grains, it appears I have duplicated the Mashburn powder capacity but with the advantage of availability of more consistent, stronger brass (in this case Lapua) in a form that allows functioning in a Sako L-46 without any modifications or restrictions on overall cartridge length/bullet seating depth. I think mission accomplished.

I was also able to get the .222 Sako Bofors Steel barrel removed without incident, the new Shilen barrel threaded, chambered, and fitted earlier than I thought, using my shiny new PTG reamer. With proper placement, the Shilen barrel is very close in contour to the only slightly narrower original barrel. A few swipes with 100 grit emery cloth wrapped around the appropriately sized extended socket, and the barrel is nearly free floating while still maintaining pretty good wood-to-metal fit.

I've got a local guy that does a very good job of engraving on knives, guns, and such, so, I'll need to get him to mark the barrel with the chambering. First things first, however, and, if the weather holds, I could be shooting groups in the next few days.

Stay tuned

TBR
Right to left .222, .221 FB, .22 Tanuki:

Last edited by Teddy Bear Rat; 04-20-2020 at 08:01 PM.