View Single Post
Old 03-03-2020, 12:08 PM

Default Using 17 Hornet Brass to 17 Ackley Hornet?

While down at the farm yesterday afternoon, doing a bit of crow and armadillo shooting with the 17 Hornet, got curious about the difference in case length of the Hornady and Ackley versions, so had Siri look it up. Interestingly enough, she produced an article by Layne Simpson from June 5, 2019 in Rifleshootermag.com, which the writer states that one can simply run the Hornady brass through the Ackley full length die, and, while the neck and case length ends up shorter, accuracy is not compromised.

We also have some Ackley Hornets, and forming brass for them can sometimes be easy, and sometimes a real pita.....I suppose on the quality of any particular lot of brass....? Anyway, it's quite inconsistent. Would have been nice if Hornady would have made the brass closer to the same length as the Ackely version.....

My question is, have any of you guys experimented with using the Hornady brass in the Ackley chambers, and if so, what were your conclusions....there has probably been a thread on this from way back and I just missed it....

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by fosters; 03-03-2020 at 03:12 PM.