View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
I concur, based on the case neck to shoulder profile not being sharp at the shoulder and body juncture. This would actually indicate that the weapon fires without the bolt fully locked and down which possibly would cause what we see here.
Nope. Not very likely at all. Fired unlocked would have left a circular mark around the case in front of the rim from the back chamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbertalotto View Post
A few things...

So....The cartridge before this one did not fire, it ejected with the bullet in the case. No movement.....The next round was this one.
A very big indicator and probably the best piece of evidence in this whole incident.

Quote:
Could it be the gun fired these two times a bit out of battery. The first cartridge didn't fire because the firing pin didn't reach the rim properly?

The second blew because the bolt wasn't totally closed. That would explain a split case AND a blown rim

It is possible, he being a new bolt action shooter, he wasn't handling the bolt with enough force.

I'm going to do some testing when I get a chance to see if this gun will fire a bit out of battery

Stay tuned!

Again not very likely. If you can get the gun to fire out of battery the back of the case should bulge around around the head in front of the rim, as the case will be forced backwards out of the chamber when it fires, and the head will be unsupported.

If you can get that gun to fire unlocked send it back to the manufacture for repairs. I don't know how the sear and striker connect in this gun, but if this fires unlock, there is a problem with this part of the gun. If this gun did fire our battery the damage would be different.