Thread: Ruger 77 MkII
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 04:12 AM
Supporting Member

Default Ruger 77 MkII

Hi Guys,

Hope you can provide some guidance for me. I have an older friend in his late 60's that picked up a Ruger M77 MkII in .257 Roberts with a 20in barrel a few years before we met. Bless his heart, he cannot get it to shoot to save his soul, 75's up through 115grs. 1-3/4 - 2-1/2" is a good day for him. When I shoot it I can do a bit better, but not by much. The barrel heats quite quickly and after 3 rounds in as many minutes, have to let it cool, but that does not usually do much. Stringing.... pick a direction... is common place.

He loads it on the mild side even by the old factory standard, and not the newer +P loads. Keeps COL to factory length, never mind he has over half an inch more magazine space to work with. Suggested he stop driving it like and old women and at least try to shoot it closer to it's modern potential. Obviously the light fodder is not working well.

We have gone over the loading basics, proper/uniform sizing, case length, seating depths, primer seating, charge weights, etc., still so - so.

So I thought I would ask if any of you have issues with a Ruger MKII and/or the 257 Roberts. Dave is on a fixed income and any fix or tweek to the right will need to be easy on the wallet. He insists on forend pressure cuz that is what says he heard that Ruger recommends. My initial thoughts are to free float the barrel and up the octane, but then I could be wrong.

I appreciate any input, suggestions, recommendations, or experiences that anyone may have.

Many thanks,

Michael