Thread: Rem. 600
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 12:51 AM
Supporting Member

Years ago in the early 1960's while my family lived in NE Wyoming, and when I was just starting to hunt deer and antelope, I wore one page out in the annual Montgomery Ward catalog. It showed an original Remington 600 carbine with the vent rib barrel in 6MM Remington selling for $99. At the time it may well have been $9K as it was out of reach for me and my family as I already had a well-worn 30-30 to hunt with. But in my mind it and the 6MM cartridge would solve any hunting need that I might ever encounter in my life.

Fast forward to maybe 7-8 years ago when one day I went into a gun shop near my home. Sitting on the shelf was a near mint condition Model 600 rifle in 6MM Remington that they had traded for. It naturally followed me home. It had a vintage Weaver K-4 scope on it in Weaver bases and rings. The scope did not adjust correctly so I replaced it and the Weaver mounts with Leupy rings and bases and topped it with a VX-3 2.5x8 Leupy scope.

Since then it has accounted for a few south Texas mangy coyotes and more than just a few jack rabbits, and it is one of my favorite old rifles. It shoots extremely well and its a definite keeper.............

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine