Thread: Cast bullets
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
Hello I'm planning on casting some pistol bullets from wheel weights. I'm going to do large batches and have heard pure wheel weights lose their hardness over time. Is this an issue? They will be in revolvers and semi autos but not pushed hard. Light plinking type loads. I dont want to make and load 2000 and have them go to soft they can't be shot if it takes me a couple years to shoot them all.
I know you can add tin but kinda don't want to mess with it and follow the kiss method.
Wheel weights will work, but be careful what kind you use. Get old ones if you can find them from some auto repair place that's been around forever. Newer wheel weights, the ones with squared-off edges, are made more from zinc than lead and will mess up a batch of casting metal real quick. The older ones are usually a darker grey and the ends are rounded. FWIW, I've used a mix of 2 parts wheelweight metal to one part of linotype metal for a long, long time, and it makes great bullets, little if any leading. If you don't have a source for lino, PM me. If you're new to casting, the Cast Boolits forum is the absolute best source of info and advice you'll ever find.