View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 02:24 PM

Well, I couldn't locate my reamer, and I had no offers, so I called Dave at PTG. Since a new tight-neck .221 reamer was going to be about the same as a wildcat reamer, I decided to go with the latter.

As mentioned, I would ideally want something in the K-Hornet/.218 Bee capacity range, since I have found that level of noise and velocity to be just about perfect for my needs. The problem being neither of those rounds will fit my L-46 action and magazines without considerable alteration, though the .218 Bee was tempting.

So, jumping to the chase, I'm having PTG make me a reamer for a .221 Fireball with a tight neck but with a neck length identical to a .222 (.312" versus the .221's .203"), pushing back the shoulder about .110". I haven't precisely calculated water capacity, but a quick and dirty indicates it will probably have a capacity of about 18 gr., or right at .218 capacity, possibly slightly over that. I am retaining body taper, shoulder angle, and overall case length, and the Sako magazine lips stop right about where the shoulder will fall anyway, so I think this will work. I loaded some .221 dummies, and they feed as well as the .222 dummies I made.

Dave asked me what I wanted to call it, and I didn't have any idea at the time, but I think I will call it the .221 Tanuki. Tanuki is the name for a small animal in Japan similar in size and temperament to our raccoons. You would be in big trouble shooting one there, though...they have almost Panda Bear status in Japan, but the name sounds cool, and most Americans would pronounce it properly from the spelling.

I know the "practical" people out there will say I should have just gone with the standard .221, or even just left it as a .222, or just loaded down a .223...or a .22-250! (does anyone really load down their .22-250s to .218 Bee levels...I mean really? Don't most us here have dozens of rifles? ) Anyway, it seems this is what this forum is all about, right? Should have the reamer in a couple of weeks and have it chambered up shortly thereafter.

TBR

Last edited by Teddy Bear Rat; 04-11-2020 at 12:20 AM.