View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Supporting Member

Default Reducing expander ball

I'll back up and explain a bit more since I'm not typing on my phone now.
I had several cases with very poor neck tension - meaning I could shove the bullets down the case mouth by hand after seating. So I carefully re-set my seating die - and that was the reason for going down 1/8 turn, trying to get a bit of crimp. That didn't work, as I was then pushing the shoulder back, which is something I didn't even know was possible in the seating die. Polishing a couple of thousandths off the expander ball should have nothing to do with pushing a shoulder back (correct me if I am wrong). That is only going to occur with the actual seater die adjustment - not the sizing, not the expander and not the bullet seating depth. The fact that I had some cases with poor tension, and no issues with virgin cases led me to believe that I may have too much spring-back, and therefore I should probably start with annealing cases. So, I annealed, I polished my expander down a hair, I have backed off on my seating die depth and I will try again. I just borrowed a collet bullet puller from my Dad this weekend and I will report my results.