View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
South Pender,
Does all the machining required to make the barrel octagonal not effect the performance of the barrel?
Ken.
That's a reasonable question, and I don't have a definitive answer. It likely depends on the skill of the metalsmith doing the work. I'm hoping that the octagoning of the Sako barrel won't change its performance.

I might add that my gunsmith is a master metalsmith and a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. He does exquisite work and has octagoned some other barrels for me. One he did for a Kimber 82B rimfire project, and another for a Rem. 40XBR rifle in .22BR. Both rifles shot very well after the octagoning. I have two other rifles with octagonal barrels--both Wichita Classics, with the barrel, receiver, and bolt shroud all octagoned and nicely blended. They are good shooters.

Just for fun and because I've been told you guys like pictures, here are some pics of my Kimber 82B .22LR project that my gunsmith built, showing the octagoning and custom scope bases, along with a different treatment of the bottom metal and hinged floorplate. This was an aftermarket custom barrel (can't remember whether it was a Krieger or Lilja) that the gunsmith octagoned for the project. Despite its somewhat light barrel weight, the rifle shoots right along with my heavy-barrel Anschutzes, producing average groups, with the ammo it likes, in the mid-.3s for 5 shots at 50 yards.

After completion of the Sako project, we'll be starting in on an Anschutz 54-action .22WMR project. For that one, my gunsmith has a barrel from Lilja that Dan Lilja octagoned.

Last edited by South Pender; 10-13-2017 at 10:17 PM.