View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Pender, any details to what was done with the two floor plates.
Ray h, I'm not quite sure what you are asking. For the Kimber build, you've seen the floorplate in closed position; here beside it is the floorplate in open position.

The serrated latch releases the floorplate and the detachable magazine falls out. The magazine surround that the gunsmith made enables the magazine to be held in its proper position with respect to the receiver opening.

The gunsmith fashioned two of these for me--one for this Kimber and another for a second Kimber 82A in .22 WMR which was similarly customized, this work taking place a number of years ago. The gunsmith made these bottom-metal units up from scratch.

As for the second hinged floorplate/bottom metal--the one going on to the Sako project--here again is a picture, with the pink cutout showing the approximate size of the floorplate (although it will be little smaller than the pink cutout). It will be on this floorplate that I'll have the engraver (also the stocker) engrave a squirrel scene. The rifle is a Sako P94S in .22LR, and in keeping with Sako's tradition of putting (sometimes stylized) engravings of caliber-appropriate animals on the floorplates of their deluxe models, the squirrel seemed like the natural for this rifle, which will be an all-out .22LR hunting rifle.

This bottom-metal unit is different from those on the Kimbers in that it has the floorplate release in the trigger bow, like what you find on may top-grade hunting rifles. The gunsmith is reworking the Ted Blackburn unit that is used on many Win. 52 custom projects. When finished, it will operate in the same way that the hinged floorplate works on the Kimbers.

Not sure there's much more I can say.

Last edited by South Pender; 10-13-2017 at 10:01 PM.