View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

A way back about 1960-2 one of my late uncle's gave me about 25-30 rnds of WWI
steel RN 240gr shells that could possibly have even been the "original 1903 ammo" prior to "06 even. No trace of them now to inspect and I wasn't aware of that stuff in those days as a D/a'd kid.

Anyway, they'd been left in an open tin tobacco can under his work bench for many years in an unheated "cinder block" garage. I took 'em out and started busting huge shale rocks in piece's with 'em until one didn't fire, it just "hissed" out the vent hole.
Bullet was stuck about 2/3's up the bore. Gunsmith used an electric hammer on it from the muzzle end for several hour long sessions he said. "hammered on it until the hammer got too hot each time". Had given up on it several times and thought he'd call to tell me the barrel was junked but, gave it one last try and it moved a little bit so he kept at it til it came out.

After quite a lecture about such things and others concerning guns n ammo I paid him $10 and left. That was tough as I'd only paid $15 for the rifle packed in cosmoline.
anyway, no harm done to me nor the gun and I'm still shooting it now as a .300WinM.
Still has the same barrel on it as then and will put 'em all within an inch at 200yds with 200gr Sierra Game Kings. The bore is so smooth you've got to look close to see the rifling. As long as it still shoots that well, it won't be replaced. I can put 'em all on a typing page at 300yds. For me, that's pretty decent shooting considering my eye's and the age of the gun: 1919, it's '17 Enfield, Eddystone.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 06-25-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: typo