View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 03:54 PM

Bert,

Its funny how shooting a bolt gun you are more in tune with rate of fire and barrel temperature. There is a psychological switch when you pick up an AR platform and suddenly the rate of fire is determined by how quickly you can acquire the target and the number of rounds in the magazine. Its the damnedest thing...I call it the "10/22" effect. To avoid this temptation I only bring 10 round magazines to the range.

Assuming you are talking about cartridges loaded with powders that have a similar burn rate, I think that the amount of jump required is primarily driven by the bullet profile. Fast powders (pistol and shotgun) with bullets that have a lot of bearing surface require more jump to avoid pressure spikes, whereas slower burning powders (rifle) with longer ogee bullets (minimal bearing surface) tend to favor short or no jump with less risk of high pressure spikes. For a hunting round the tolerance are a bit more forgiving then target shooting. I would be focused on selecting a powder that will handle your extreme temperature spreads, especially at the colder end during hunting season. Varget would be my starting point, but there may a better choice to handle the extreme low temperature.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 09-20-2019 at 04:43 PM.