View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 03:16 PM

I have been owning and shooting .17 Remingtons for 40 years now. Back when I got my first one (an H&R on a Sako L461 action) the only bullets you could find were the 25 grain hollow points from Hornaday and Remington. I had to use a BB gun cleaning kit (did not work very well) as I could not find any .17 caliber rods and brushes. Things are much better now in that regard.

What is not better now sadly is inexpensive .17 Remington brass. I have enough to last me the rest of my life thankfully, but if I were starting over today with a gee-whiz .17 caliber I would just go to a .17-204 and be done with it. Lots more different brass makers out there and it's way cheaper and easier to find too. Plus you can get .17 Remington speeds with a bit less pressure or even top the .17 Rem if you wish. 4500 fps is not hard to obtain when using the 20 grain Vmax. 4300+ when using the 25 grain bullets.

I am a big fan of the .17 Remington to be sure. But if starting over today I would go to a .17-204 and call it good. And good it would be.