View Single Post
Old 08-03-2019, 06:48 AM

Dave,

Did you have the chance to shoot the rifle before the converison to the new case? Did it have the primer flow characteristic then?

Ruger single shots being off center a little is not unknown, one only has to look at the top of the lifting arm to see perhaps a clue. I assume that the hit of the firing pin is either high or low; never saw one that was right or left.

One could run a set of headspace gages thru the rifle if available. I thought the SPC was on the SAAMI list now but kinda new to me.

The primers kinda suggest headspace issues in my opinion. Brass is too short(shoulder wise) or the chamber is too long. One could take a few brass, expand up to 6mm or 25cal, then insert into the rifle during sizing, until the brass seated with a bit of touch(resistance)(false shoulder routine). Then put in moderate load and bullet and see how those fired cases looked afterwards. I am not a big fan of running the bullet into the lands for headspace, I do not feel it is very consistent for the purpose, just my opinion there.

The basic firing pin of the No.1(no.3) is a smallish firing pin energized with a transfer bar in the breechblock. Hammer never strikes the firing pin, but rather the transfer bar. As I recall the nose is about 0.073" nominal and the ones I have examined are a nice fit to the firing pin hole of the block. I have never bushed a No.1 firing pin in the block; never had the need I guess. One can pull the breechblock out, hold a rod against the transfer bar to get the nose of the firing pin to protrude, looking visually for anything abbynormal...........like way loose fit of nose to hole; beat up nose(not nice and round).

Some smiths when rebarreling a Ruger single shot will decrease the factory gap space to 5 or less, and set the headspace on the low end of SAAMI numbers, so the case is pretty well confined during a breeching, ie does not fly around very far during ignition.

Last edited by rick w.; 08-03-2019 at 06:53 AM.