View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
Probably should use caution at that especially working with smaller case capacities.

I've been Lucky and did most of my stuff without anyone's loads or advice because there was none with the powders I wanted to use.
But knowing you as I do, Gary, I know that you used some common sense and did some sound research before plunging forward.

What you see and read today by these new "internet experts" is an approach that is going to get someone seriously hurt. The idea that brass can be formed in a certain manner and it becomes magical with new found strength capable of hyper velocity in a good rifle action is pure lunacy. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but I don't know of any other way to say it. Brass is brass and it has been the same for years. And it is the weak link in the entire equation. When it fails, everything else fails too.

SAAMI pressure standards are applied to brass and not to rifles. If the brass gives way due to excessive heat and/or pressure, it won't matter if you're shooting a $100 surplus military action or a $2K custom action. There will still be lots of startling things happening just in front of your face, none of which will be pleasant.

I told myself I wasn't going to post, but I'd feel very bad if someone unsuspectingly got hurt because he went down the road a few folks are blissfully traveling today with their delusions about what they are personally capable of doing that will revolutionize the world. Coming back down to earth after an unplanned for boom might be a startling revolution in itself.

Again I just hope the first person to get hurt is not an innocent person who took someone else's stupidity to faith because he read it on the internet.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 03-15-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: clarity........