View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Supporting Member

I just re-looked at this thread and thought I'd add something for what it's worth.

Because I agree that a lot of new reloaders, especially on the small caliber non-published wildcat rounds use the internet as a source of information I'd like to take it a step farther.
I believe we owe it to all those guys as well as our sport in general to "POLITELY ", point out things posted that are patently unsafe or at least would be in our own rifle! That's why I originally started this thread, to point out that we "ARE NOT" making cookies here and just because one rifle held up to a number of way over pressure rounds without blowing up it doesn't mean the next guys rifle will do the same !! Any combination of components that achieves one thing in one rifle, even if it is safe in that rifle will not necessarily be the same in another. Further, if someone is telling you it is with anything but a starting load I'd scratch em off my "listen to list".

Once again I sound like the social avenger but as Foxhunter once said so correctly, "These small calibers can go from "Oh My ", to "Oh My GOD ", in one or two tenths of a grain of powder.

This came up for me a day or two back when a very experienced reloader, older guy buddy a mine that got into the small calibers because of me, calls me. He tells me he has the .17 MachIV Greg Tannel made for him pushing 25 grain V-Max's at 4,100FPS + with a load he actually worked up to on advice off a new internet buddy and it's driving tacks! When I looked at the load data I've saved on my MachIV I see clearly that that load, with my lot of powder, in my rifle, "would be catastrophic"!!!
I'd sure hate like heck to be responsible for getting someone hurt.
Shoot safe guys!!