Thread: Howa mini build
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 11:10 PM

Well I honestly am leaning towards the smaller case to a point.

These little actions, I don’t see hanging a heavy barrel out there doing this platform any good. My thoughts are a small taper (#2 Light) 20-24”. Less powder = less heat, if I were to use it on colony critters.

I do have a 17 Fireball. I run 20 grainers exclusively for the speed and splat factor. I will say I questioned it initially, but it has impressed me a lot what a small package will do.
So most all my questions,thoughts etc were answered with the little case. Not that I did not believe what I had heard and read from a lot of folks. I saw some where a fellow say he had never heard of a Vartarg that would not shoot.

20 Practical or 20-222, dies.
Just use a bushing die with the proper bushing? What are you using to bump the shoulder with?
A parent case die would leave a donut if used to bump wouldn’t it?

I have not checked or measured what the magazine will allow on OAL.
As I mentioned I have a 6.5 Grendel and a .222 for donor actions. I would have to look at the 222 and see if it is a 222/223/204 magazine. The 6.5 is a 6.5/7.62x39 magazine.

I have tossed the idea of a 17 or 20 predator around. The improved case just looks awesome for driving a heavy small bullet to high speeds.

Jeff